kidspin

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Is a non-modular psu better than a modular psu? I read that the modular cables add more resistance because you need to connect them into a port instead of already being connected. In the same article it said that modular cables connection port to the psu are not stable and could disconnect causing loss in power.

The difference in resistance is very, very slight. For all practical purposes it is insignificant. It will not make any difference for typical users. For the record I have been using the same Corsair modular power supply for several years now and nothing bad has happened. :)

Ahhhhhhh I remember seeing that years ago.
(there is a link to a 2006 article there)
I can't really see how modular plugs would give 'cost savings for manufacturers'. If anything, it should be the other way around. Extra work cutting the wires and adding connectors and such.

I wonder why they haven't convinced the OCZ people that modular cables are 'bad' now that OCZ owns PC Power & Cooling?

From the jonnyguru PSU FAQ
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036
Now if you feel like doing math, 16 guage wire has a resistance of 4 ohms/1000 feet, so that 2 foot length of wire only provides .008 milli ohms of resistance, power loss is calculated by (I^2)R so even if you draw the full power of a corsair 750HX you are only losing 39.2 watts, which is significantly less than the inefficiencies already in the PSU.

mrmez

Splendid
If they do add resistance it will be marginal.

As always... use a good quality PSU, that will minimise any resistance, not that its a big issue tbo.
Any extra resistance will be compensated by the system having to draw a little extra.

So all things being equal... its not something anyone would ever need to factor in.
In my case, i chose a single rail over modular.

That's an article from PC Power and Cooling, and they exclusively make non-modular PSUs. They have a bias. In reality, there's effectively no difference between modular and non modular PSUs as long as they are of equal build quality.