Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-EP43-UD3L Motherboard works but Intel Quad Q8200 CPU and HSFdo not

Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2010 8:42:14 PM

Not sure why, my Graphics card, case fan, PSU works but CPU and HSF does not. I reviewed the checklist, and intsalled the CPU, HSF and memory prior to putting in the case. After intsalling the CPU only and putting the power on I do not hear the beeping sound all my chasis and psu fans run.

Need advice.

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 10:50:06 PM

Did you power up outside the case? That's your next step. Take it out of the case. Use just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, video, and keyboard only. Connect the 2 power supply leads plus one to the video card if needed. Then touch the power switch area with a plain flathead screwdriver until it posts. Set your boot order, save and exit. Then remount the board in the case.
January 10, 2010 12:55:14 PM

O1die, thank for the advice. I just finished POST-ing outside the case and I got the same results. MOBO leds 1234 and video card and PSU fans come on but not the CPU and HSF. Does this mean I have a bad CPU?

o1die said:
Did you power up outside the case? That's your next step. Take it out of the case. Use just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, video, and keyboard only. Connect the 2 power supply leads plus one to the video card if needed. Then touch the power switch area with a plain flathead screwdriver until it posts. Set your boot order, save and exit. Then remount the board in the case.

m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 12:40:35 AM

OK. I exchanged the mother board and the PSU. Powered up outside (the chasis) with CPU/Heatsink, one stick RAM, Video and keyboard, and used the flathead, the system did POST.

I put the MOBO back in the chassis, and in addition to the above, added one more stick of RAM, connected all chassis fans, the front panel power switches and powered-on. Smoke came out of the backside of the MOBO PWR_FAN connector and the ATX_2V connect, needless to say that I was back to my orginal situation, when I power up Video card, MOBO works except for the CPU and HSF.

So any advice as to why smoke came out?

bad psu?
mobo shorting?
Both?
Chasis touching MOBO?

Also hope that this episode did not fry my processor?
m
l
a c 229 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
January 11, 2010 12:49:05 AM

CPU fan must be plugged into MoBo header or puter won't normally boot....what kind of fan do you have? sounds like something wrong with it or it drew too much amps. Most 120 mm CPU fans are about 0.34 amps or less
m
l
January 11, 2010 1:12:19 AM

CPU fan was plugged into MoBo header and so was PSU fan. CPU fan is original Intel that came with the heatsink and PWR fan is 120 mm.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 11, 2010 1:25:23 PM

Cheap power supply? What brand and 12v amp rating does it list?
m
l
January 11, 2010 9:02:36 PM

I believe it is the OCZ 500W with a 18A rating for 12V.
m
l
January 12, 2010 1:02:30 PM

Finally, got this working. I suspect it is the PSU fan connector. As soon as I took this off the CPU and other prepherals started working fine. Do not know however why the PSU fan header would short the MoBo?
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:44:13 AM

Best answer selected by yelaguloo.
m
l
!