docjop

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I have a Dell Poweredge 2800 raid 1. Drive 0 has failed and will not rebuild. Drive 1 is in a degraded state. Drive has 2 partitions. I have ordered identical new replacement drives. can I replace the failed drive 0 first and rebuild, then replace the degraded drive 1. How do I partition the drive. Thanks for any help you can give, Kevin

Solution
I haven't done this with a Poweredge, so I can't be sure, but the rebuild process should copy what's on the surviving drive to the new one - no need to partition it beforehand. It's not the surviving drive that's degraded, it's the RAID array. Replacing the failed drive will allow the array to rebuild, at which point it will no longer be degraded.

I don't know if that setup will rebuild automatically as soon as it sees the new drive, or if you have to kick it off.

You do have backups just in case, yes?
I haven't done this with a Poweredge, so I can't be sure, but the rebuild process should copy what's on the surviving drive to the new one - no need to partition it beforehand. It's not the surviving drive that's degraded, it's the RAID array. Replacing the failed drive will allow the array to rebuild, at which point it will no longer be degraded.

I don't know if that setup will rebuild automatically as soon as it sees the new drive, or if you have to kick it off.

You do have backups just in case, yes?

Solution

docjop

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I do have a backup. Still will cross my fingers for a succseful rebuild. Thanks for the help. Kevin p.s. sorry for the multiple posts I,m a newbie.