Sign in with
Your question

Should I Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 9, 2011 5:31:56 PM

Hi,
my system is the following:
MB: ASUS M5A78L
RAM: g.skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3 4gb (2x2)
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 450 3.2Ghz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTS250

Since I failed unlocking the fourth core, I was wondering if it was safe to overclock my CPU, considering I'm using a stock heatsink... What do you guys think?

More about : overclock

a b K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2011 5:49:58 PM

Whether or not you should OC is really up to you. You can OC your CPU w/o an aftermarket cooler, just not very far. I would OC your system just for the learning experience.
August 9, 2011 5:50:37 PM

what frequency do you suggest with a stock HSF?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2011 6:17:39 PM

Just raise the frequency by 5 MHz until Windows doesn't load. When this happens lower the frequency by 1 MHz until Windows does load. Once in Windows, use HW Monitor (it's free to download) to check your temps. Ideally, you want your CPU temp to stay below ~55°C, especially with a stock cooler.
August 9, 2011 6:41:03 PM

will I get significative better performance if I OC it to, say, 3.4Ghz?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2011 6:52:35 PM

With a single low end video card I really don't see the benefits of overclocking for you.
a b K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2011 10:25:54 PM

andreinoplay said:
will I get significative better performance if I OC it to, say, 3.4Ghz?

No, you won't see a significant increase in performance. Like Geek mentioned, your GPU is low-end, and because of this, it does not command hefty workloads from the CPU. That said, your CPU isn't being bottlenecked by the GPU, so overclocking the CPU for graphical gains will not be impressive - maybe not even worth the time to OC.

To give you a better example, I have a P2X4 945. I had overclocked it to 3.8 GHz and saw no difference in WoW, with my GTS 250. On the other hand, running the CPU at stock 3.0 GHz, and replacing the 250 with a 560, my gameplay was much smoother.

Of course, though, there are other reasons why a CPU OC would be beneficial. If you're using your computer for multitasking (Internet,surfing + streaming media, for example) would be such a reason. In this scenario, where there are multiple demands for processing power at one time, overclocking your CPU to increase its efficiency at handling the load (assuming said load is overbearing at stock speed), you might notice the difference.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2011 1:35:12 AM

T_T said:
No, you won't see a significant increase in performance. Like Geek mentioned, your GPU is low-end, and because of this, it does not command hefty workloads from the CPU. That said, your CPU isn't being bottlenecked by the GPU, so overclocking the CPU for graphical gains will not be impressive - maybe not even worth the time to OC.

To give you a better example, I have a P2X4 945. I had overclocked it to 3.8 GHz and saw no difference in WoW, with my GTS 250. On the other hand, running the CPU at stock 3.0 GHz, and replacing the 250 with a 560, my gameplay was much smoother.

Of course, though, there are other reasons why a CPU OC would be beneficial. If you're using your computer for multitasking (Internet,surfing + streaming media, for example) would be such a reason. In this scenario, where there are multiple demands for processing power at one time, overclocking your CPU to increase its efficiency at handling the load (assuming said load is overbearing at stock speed), you might notice the difference.

He'll definitely see improvement in his game by +1FPS lol... I OC my CPU From 3GHz to 3.8GHz with a GT 220 and i see about like what, 3+FPS improvement lol... At stock i usually get 23FPS lowest and after OC(With RAM OC to 2009MHz), i get around 25-26FPS lowest in A.V.A at MAX setting on 1024x768(GPU was maxed at 99% GPU Load and around 700MB+ GPU Memory and CPU at 30-60% load)...
!