How to reset checksum without booting laptop

Bob101

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I'm trying to reset the checksum without booting my laptop. Because I try to start my laptop and a blue screen pops up and it says:

stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum}
the image rpcrt4.dll is possibly corrupt the header checksum does not match the computer checksum.

and it just restarts itself and pops up again

so i was wondering how to fix this or how to reset the checksum without booting computer. please help i can still press f1 and pull up BIOS settings and still select boot device

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Assuming your are using a windows OS,
Boot off of your Operating System Disk, once booted into the disk run a "Disk Check"
If that doesnt work your gonna have to format your hard drive and do a clean install of Windows.

G

Well, this is an older article last updated in 2008 and assumes that you are running Windows XP, but the information it contains may still be applicable.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326687

Basically to sum it up, it could be a bad memory module causing the problem or you could have a damaged file in your windows folder.

Seeing as it's a laptop, if it's the memory, you can try removing the memory
(you should use an anti-static wrist strap when doing this) and make sure you are grounded so as to make sure you don't kill the memory with static electricity.

Look to see which slot is marked DIMM0 and which is DIMM1 - you'll want to insert one stick of memory in the DIMM0 slot then try booting your laptop. If this does not work, then shut down and remove the module and try the other module in the same slot.

Hopefully it'll be nothing more than one of the memory modules gone bad.

If you still get the same problem after checking both memory modules, then insert both memory modules in their sockets and close the cover then use your Windows installation disk or if possible, your recovery disk, then boot from the disk optical drive and do a repair of your existing windows.

Doing a google search for stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum} the image rpcrt4.dll basically pulls up much more of the same

One other thing to consider if this is an older laptop is the hard drive may be failing.

Bob101

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

how do i format my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows