C300 64GB or Vertex 3 120GB

Koljin

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I've pretty much finalized my build and just trying to decide on my SSD now, my mobo supports SATA III.

My dilemma is basically broken down to deciding between getting the c300 64gb and only really using it for OS/apps or spend twice the amount of money and getting the v3 120gb and adding games to the ssd.

I understand this won't affect my fps in games just enhance load times, but i haven't owned an ssd before and I'm trying to figure out if the cost is justified for gaming. Advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
just be sure your mobo is using and Intel or AMD 6G implememntation and the V3 will be nice and fast. Marvell 6G ports are holding these V3's back quite a bit due to PCI-E x1 bottlenecks and many are complaining these days.

Pays to research other known "good recipe's" before deciding and hunting through the mfgrs forums usually pays off with fewer headaches in the long run. Good Luck with it

64GB is not enough:

If your careful, you can just get by with this amount of space. I have Windows 7 x64 and shortly after installing I was at 35GB (including an 8GB pagefile to mirror 8GB of RAM). Anyway, this slowly crept up to 60GB due to program installation, updates and System Restore backups.

120GB is plenty, especially if you install any games to a hard drive.

My video game folders are all on the E-drive:
1) E:\Games...
2) E:\Steam...

This is the best drive for the money; it can be found for $200:

120GB Vertex 2

(the Vertex 3 is TWICE as fast but I don't feel it's worth the extra money. Many things are buffered into your System RAM, games should be on the hard drive etc. I don't think the difference would be very obvious.)

qadri

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Or you could go for the C300 128GB or the newer M4 128 GB, you would have the same space as the vertex 3 plus save your self some cash.

I'm currently deciding between the two.

tecmo34

Administrator
True... though doesn't the Marvell 6g 9182 show an increase, since it is using x2??

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Marvell 9182 is a huge improvement with nearly doubled write speeds and near full read speeds allowed from the V3. Another guy over on the OCZ forums showing well over 600MB/s raided V3 performance. While that's not anything near the full 1GB/s speeds that the Intel and AMD 6G chips are getting.. it's much improved over the previous 9128's 400/250 speeds.

Now what they need to do is make that chip available on a cheaper PCI-e card that many early adopters can afford. At $99 bucks, they'd make a killing.

mcg75

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I just replaced my c300 64gb with the Vertex 3 120gb max iops edition. No question that it's is faster than the c300.

However, you can get away just fine with the 64gb. I turn system restore off and have daily backups to a HDD. I also have pagefile reduced to 1gb since I have 8 gigs of ram. With all my daily apps, I never did hit more than 40gb on the c300. Like the backups, Steam is installed to a secondary data HDD.