Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Compaq LTE 5000 series: boot from CD?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 4:50:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have an LTE 5300 and an LTE 5400, and I can't get either to boot from a
CD. In bios, I've tried setting first boot device to "Notebook Hard Drive
Bay" and "Multibay-Notebook", but in both settings the computer ignores the
CD drive and boots to Windows.

In the past I've tried booting to the CD drive using the dock; still no
luck.

I have a second question: how would I back up the bios on one of these?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 5:20:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <108t7bfc9vnla77@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> I have an LTE 5300 and an LTE 5400, and I can't get either to boot from a
> CD. In bios, I've tried setting first boot device to "Notebook Hard Drive
> Bay" and "Multibay-Notebook", but in both settings the computer ignores the
> CD drive and boots to Windows.

I've owned several of these, and don't remember ever seeing CD
in the boot sequence in any BIOS version. Remember that these
are Pentium 1 class computers, hatched before bootable CDs
became the norm.

If you want to upgrade the operating system, copy the install
files to a directory on the hard disk, and install from there.
Windows 98 seems pretty happy and well-behaved on mine. Haven't
tried anything newer.

I still have uses for trailing-edge technology. If you want to
sell them, e-mail rick@radiohospital.com

> I have a second question: how would I back up the bios on one of these?

The BIOS flash utility has the capability to save the existing
BIOS to a binary file in case you ever want to change back.
Any of the ROMpaq disks should have it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 5:20:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

It boots to a floppy; don't understand why it wouldn't boot to a CD.

The manual doesn't talk about booting from either: just says "The computer
must start (boot) from a drive that has the operating system files on it.
The boot drive can be a hard drive in any one of the four bays..." etc.

I guess I'll have to use the expansion bay with both the startup floppy and
CD in it to install a new OS. That's what I did the first time around, but I
sure would like to boot from CD's.

"Ol' Duffer" <DontSend@MeSpam.com> wrote in message
news:c6ob37$fbf$0@65.17.137.180...
> In article <108t7bfc9vnla77@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> > I have an LTE 5300 and an LTE 5400, and I can't get either to boot from
a
> > CD. In bios, I've tried setting first boot device to "Notebook Hard
Drive
> > Bay" and "Multibay-Notebook", but in both settings the computer ignores
the
> > CD drive and boots to Windows.
>
> I've owned several of these, and don't remember ever seeing CD
> in the boot sequence in any BIOS version. Remember that these
> are Pentium 1 class computers, hatched before bootable CDs
> became the norm.
>
> If you want to upgrade the operating system, copy the install
> files to a directory on the hard disk, and install from there.
> Windows 98 seems pretty happy and well-behaved on mine. Haven't
> tried anything newer.
>
> I still have uses for trailing-edge technology. If you want to
> sell them, e-mail rick@radiohospital.com
>
> > I have a second question: how would I back up the bios on one of these?
>
> The BIOS flash utility has the capability to save the existing
> BIOS to a binary file in case you ever want to change back.
> Any of the ROMpaq disks should have it.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 10:03:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <108vtfqhmlnloc9@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> It boots to a floppy; don't understand why it wouldn't boot to a CD.
>
> The manual doesn't talk about booting from either: just says "The computer
> must start (boot) from a drive that has the operating system files on it.
> The boot drive can be a hard drive in any one of the four bays..." etc.
>
> I guess I'll have to use the expansion bay with both the startup floppy and
> CD in it to install a new OS. That's what I did the first time around, but I
> sure would like to boot from CD's.
>
> "Ol' Duffer" <DontSend@MeSpam.com> wrote in message
> news:c6ob37$fbf$0@65.17.137.180...
> > In article <108t7bfc9vnla77@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> > > I have an LTE 5300 and an LTE 5400, and I can't get either to boot from
> a
> > > CD. In bios, I've tried setting first boot device to "Notebook Hard
> Drive
> > > Bay" and "Multibay-Notebook", but in both settings the computer ignores
> the
> > > CD drive and boots to Windows.
> >
> > I've owned several of these, and don't remember ever seeing CD
> > in the boot sequence in any BIOS version. Remember that these
> > are Pentium 1 class computers, hatched before bootable CDs
> > became the norm.
> >
> > If you want to upgrade the operating system, copy the install
> > files to a directory on the hard disk, and install from there.
> > Windows 98 seems pretty happy and well-behaved on mine. Haven't
> > tried anything newer.
> >
> > I still have uses for trailing-edge technology. If you want to
> > sell them, e-mail rick@radiohospital.com
> >
> > > I have a second question: how would I back up the bios on one of these?
> >
> > The BIOS flash utility has the capability to save the existing
> > BIOS to a binary file in case you ever want to change back.
> > Any of the ROMpaq disks should have it.
> >
>
>
>
>
>
Yep, Boot from CD was not around on most PCs back then.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 4:41:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <108vtfqhmlnloc9@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> It boots to a floppy; don't understand why it wouldn't boot to a CD.

The short answer is that it doesn't know how.
To start with, the BIOS would have to recognize
the CD drive as a [potentially] bootable device.
Then it would have to have enough smarts to search
the disk for some kind of boot file, load, and
execute it. The data structure and boot process
for CD is quite different. Bootable CDs were not
yet a standard feature when these computers were
made, so the BIOS does not contain any code to
accomodate them. I'm not saying it couldn't be
done, just that it wasn't.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 4:41:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

OK, fine.

PS: Drat!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

"Ol' Duffer" <DontSend@MeSpam.com> wrote in message
news:c6pj09$ali$0@65.17.133.72...
> In article <108vtfqhmlnloc9@corp.supernews.com>, "Ken_B" <@> says...
> > It boots to a floppy; don't understand why it wouldn't boot to a CD.
>
> The short answer is that it doesn't know how.
> To start with, the BIOS would have to recognize
> the CD drive as a [potentially] bootable device.
> Then it would have to have enough smarts to search
> the disk for some kind of boot file, load, and
> execute it. The data structure and boot process
> for CD is quite different. Bootable CDs were not
> yet a standard feature when these computers were
> made, so the BIOS does not contain any code to
> accomodate them. I'm not saying it couldn't be
> done, just that it wasn't.
>
!