Sign in with
Your question

SSD Upgrade and Operating System Configuration

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2011 4:22:43 PM

Hi all, I come to you pros for computer help again. So bare with me as I’m still fresh to the world of computers. I tried searching for answers, but still felt some of my questions weren’t answered.

What I want to do: I want to purchase a ssd and install it in my existing computer and install my operating system on it. I want a faster bootup, browsing, and relateds etc. I want to breathe some more life into this computer.

Relevant system info: mobo is a asus p6t deluxe v2, op sys is windows 7 x64bit, cpu core i7 920 2.67

Hdds: 1tb wd caviar black hdd that currently has my op sys and relateds plus about 640gb of music. 1tb, 640gb and 350gb external hdds with more music movies and pics on them.

My Questions: What ssd’s are compatible for my computer and what types and capacity are appropriate for me? I’ve been seeing differences in opinions on sata II and III and size requirements to do this. I currently had my eye on a Samsung 470 series 128gb ssd, thoughts?

How do I go about installing and setting up the ssd within my computer? (if it’s a link, paste it and I’ll read it) I want my current 1tb internal hdd to be used as a storage drive to keep my music and pics on, and remove the op sys and relateds from it.

Or, since you guys are much smarter than me, what would you recommend that I do?

Thanks again for all your continued help! Also, its my bday today! yayy so I want to treat myself to a new ssd.
a c 300 G Storage
April 14, 2011 4:34:57 PM

Any current SSD will show you an improvement. SATA III is a faster interface coming out on some motherboards and some SSDs. They are completely compatible; if you attach an SATA II drive to an SATA III controller, or vice-versa, you get SATA II speeds.

The SATA version limits your maximum throughput. Most consumer SSDs aren't quite fast enough to require SATA III; we're sort of on the cusp now. So if you buy an SSD specced for more than 300 MB/Sec, SATA III will help if both the drive and the motherboard support it.

Win7 can be run comfortably on 64 GB and up. I used to run it tightly on 40 GB, but I don't recommend it. In general, the larger the drive you get, the faster it will be. Really.

So: Just about any SSD with an SATA interface is compatible with your machine. I recommend at least 64 GB; mine is 128 GB. If you install a lot of applications or games, you will need more space.

See Tecmo34's guide to the care and feeding of SSDs. There are a few points that are open for debate; for example, I keep my page file on the SSD. Here's the guide: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

When you install Win7 on the SSD, remove the HDD from the system. Otherwise, the SSD won't be bootable without that HDD in place (the boot will start from the HDD).

How you clean the OS off of the old disk depends on how neat you want to be, and how neat you were when you built it. If all your OS is on one partition, and all your data on another, and you are absolutely sure, and have a backup of your OS partition just in case, you can wipe the OS partition and expand the data partition into that space. If they are mixed together into one partition, just delete the obvious stuff that you don't need anymore (pagefile.sys, /windows, /program files).

I would run a partition manager such as EASEUS and make sure that the old drive is no longer marked as bootable (no active partition), so that your BIOS won't ever try to boot off of it.

A lot of words. Happy Birthday!
m
l
August 19, 2012 9:22:15 PM

I recently bought a Samsung 128GB Solid State Drive to use as a boot drive on my server system which includes a pair of 3TB disk drives in RAID 1 mode. I have had a bit of problems using a RAID array as the boot drive as it can be a real chore to get a RAID array's boot record operating properly.

So.. Says I, Why not get one of these hot little SSD drives and install my Windows 7 OS on it and I will have an extremely reliable boot drive which should then extend the life of the RAID array as well.

Easy to Say.. A bit harder to accomplish. I have a first line Gigabyte brand motherboard in my server circa 2009. It has all SATA II hard disk IO with the first two SATA ports for the boot drive and the DVD drive. The rest of the eight SATA ports are used for RAID array(s).

My new Samsung SSD drive arrives and I remove my regular old Seagate HD and insert the SSD drive in as the "boot drive".
1) I format the drive just fine.
2) I can read and write files to the drive just fine.
3) So I proceed with a "clean install" of Windows 7 64bit onto the SSD. I boot up the Windows 7 DVD, and begin the install.. Oops.. the install "hangs" near the start of the write to the SSD.
4) I plug in the old Seagate drive, start the install again and select "install to the SSD" drive when the option appears. This time, the install appears to go to cmpletion just fine.
5) So I disconnect the Seagate drive, connect the SSD as the BOOT drive. Oops.. Won't boot. Says missing boot record. Nope.. Not a word in the manual. But I search further.

At that time, I go on the internet and do some detailed research. It turns out that:
a) The Samsung SSDs are NOT COMPATIBLE with the Windows 7 64bit OS.
b) MANY SSDs are incompatible with "a lot" of computer motherboards. c) It seems that MOST SSDs will work with MOST 2012 motherboard designs, but it is still highly desirable to check with your Motherboard or computer manufacturer to be sure that YOUR selection of SSD drive will work with the particular computer you have!

d) Further research disclosed that only SSD manufacturer Crucial has tested their SSD drives with my Gigabyte MA790GPT motherboard. And then ONLY their 64gb and 128gb were "guaranteed compatible". My conclusion is that these SSDs are "not quite ready for prime time" as long as they are sensitive to what computer motherboard they are connected to!

Another note: Presently you MUST use a Windows 7 64bit OS in order to access data on ANY hard drive larger than 2GB. Even then, you should be SURE that your computer or MotherBoard manufacturer has DRIVERS that will allow use of drives LARGER than 2GB with the Windows 7 64bit OS as the drivers included in the Windows 7 OS do not support drives larger than 2GB.

A word to the wise is sufficient!

Hopefully, it will not be TOO long before the SSD manufacturers and MicroSoft sort out these problems.
m
l
a c 290 G Storage
August 19, 2012 10:38:11 PM

w2jo - The Samsung 470 Series and Samsung 830 Series solid state drives work just fine with Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64. I have a 470 in my personal pc and an 830 in my wife's pc. Windows 7 Pro 64 is installed in both pc's. I had absolutely no problem doing a clean install to each ssd.

Please post a link to the information that Samsung ssd's are not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. I'd like to read the article.
m
l
!