I NEED YOUR OPINION!

TopABC

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Do you think going from 900/1050 to 975/1125 is good? Avg temps? (idle and load)
ANDDDDDD Can I overclock the phenom ii x4 955 (be) from 3.2Ghz to 3.6Ghz on the stock cooler?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Depends on the CPU and GPU. One cannot predict temperatures, it's absolutely impossible. Give us specific manufacturers and models. Oh, and overclocking on a stock cooler is definitely possible, but never recommended. Overheating is always a possibility, and even more so on the stock coolers.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i would splurge a bit on a new cooler, even if the stock one holds it's own in the heat department, AMD stock coolers are not nice on the ears and it will sound like a mouse vacuuming your case on turbo
you won't have to spend much to get that.
as for GPU we'd need to know which one, but to be honest with stock numbers so high, you probably have something newer, both the nvidia & amd camps OC OK and you are probably safe at that OC, just run the afterburner tests from MSI (Kombuster) to see if it gets too hot.

TopABC

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Yeah before reading these I decided to get the Cooler Master hyper 212+ Which i heard is great due to 1500+ reviews on newegg and recommendations and now i plan to go to 3.8 would i have to change the voltage much or just to like 1.3? I really dont know the main point in up'ing the voltage. And ahh the Gpu is Sapphire 6870 with stock clocks of 900/1050 but i plan to oc it to 975/1125 ;). Uh from what i understand you have to up the voltage when the clock is not stable right? like if im stable on 3.6 but i wanna go up to 3.8 but its not stable anymore so i up the volts and its all good?

DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR GPU.

Graphics cards really push it close to the limit of failure. If a card is already overclocked slightly it has a special cooler on it (like Vapor for Sapphire).

Instead, as an AMD user you should do this:
1) Install RadeonPro (latest v1.1.0.6)
2) Drag the EXE file for a game, such as Fallout New Vegas into RadeonPro
3) For FalloutNV, change "Tweaks"->VSync Control to "Always ON" and "50Hz" (if your MONITOR SUPPORTS 50HZ mode, else do NOT do it.)

RadeonPro:
I change these things with RadeonPro:
1) 60Hz to 50Hz as mentioned, for games that fall BELOW 60Hz while playing (to keep VSYNC). This also allows slightly more processing to be turned on since it runs at 50Hz instead.

2) Anti-Aliasing if unsupported in game. I do this for games such as Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. I use 4x AND SuperSampling as that really helps ME1 and 2 in particular.

3) VSYNC. Some games don't even have VSync. Again, I use 50Hz only if the game drops below 60Hz if I chose 60Hz (normal). This works even if VSYNC is already enabled in the game.

About Fallout and Fallout NV:
I turned down the SHADOWS and this eliminated most of the stuttering in the game. My HD5870 appears to be insufficient to handle the max shadows. The game still looks great. I really hated that stuttering.

TopABC

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Its a reg Sapphire 6870, and your asking me to lower my picture quality? I'm still not understanding why exactly i shouldnt overclock my gpu i mean i wont at start cause its only a 4-5fps boost when i can already run most games 60+ but why not... safe zone is 60-85 at load...whats to worry about

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
^ If you're not going to use the OC on your GPU there's no need to OC it. I OC, yes, because it makes a difference when I max out certain games. It provides me with that extra 4~5 FPS to make the game playable at intensive scenes. If I had a GTX580 or something I'd probably OC just to see what the effect would be, but I'd drop back to stock speeds when I'm done. Not worth stressing the GPU more if you're not going to use the extra speed.