New P6T + i7 920 Refuse to POST

scionix

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after installing my new motherboard, putting in my shiny new i7 920, and meticulously plugging everything in, doing cable management, and re-installing my watercooling loop, my computer refuses to POST. Now, the problem is that I can't figure out the friggin' problem, because for some reason, ASUS was not kind enough to package the necessary speaker connection that is needed, because the motherboard has no onboard audio. My Coolermaster HAF 932 also lacks a mobo speaker connection, but it does have a HD Audio connection which has been correctly plugged in the whole time, so if there's some way to use that that would be nice.

So, Troubleshooting I've tried:

Re-seating CPU and CPU heatsink (HeatKiller 3.0 Waterblock)
Swapping my RAM sticks individually
Swapping RAM slots with each stick
Changing video output plugs for my GTX 295
Switching the GTX 295 to the first PCIX16 slot (as it's in the second to make room for my sound card)
Changing video output plugs again for the first PCIX16 slot
Resetting CMOS
Completely dis-assembling and re-assembling twice

Before I list my specs, it should be noted that everything spins up fine, my HD LED light is showing activity, my DVD drives are working, my GTX 295 is showing that it has enough power, the led lights on the mobo signifying the "power" and "reset" buttons are on, and my water loop is chugging away, so the CPU is not overheating. Just no POST beep (which is due to me not having the necessary speaker connection), and no POST activity on my monitor. Now, I'm not completely sure that the motherboard isn't just posting and I can't see it on my monitor because I can't tell if I'm getting error beeps or not, but I don't know what else to troubleshoot with my GTX 295 as I've changed PCI slots and the output slots for each respective PCI slot. It was working just fine yesterday with my previous system. Same for my PSU. None of my USB devices are lighting up (mouse, keyboard, etc)

So, specs:
ASUS P6T Motherboard
GTX 295 Video Card
6GB GSkill DDR3 RAM
Creative X-Fi Sound Card
Corsair 1000w PSU
Acer 24" Monitor
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green Edition, 7200 RPM
Sony SATA DVD Drive
Sony SATA DVD Burner
HeatKiller 3.0 Waterblock
XSRC 300mm Triple Radiator
XSRC pump/resoviour combination
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case

Any help would be amazing guys. Sorry for the huge post, but I know how annoying really vague "help me!" posts are, so...

tecmo34

Administrator
Two things:
■Have you checked or verified your BIOS version? Your BIOS may not support the new D0 stepping for the i7 920. If your BIOS don't support it, it could be the reason for no posting. You may have to contact ASUS for support on what you need to do to update your BIOS.
■Read through this sticky, it has good troubleshooting tips... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

My son has a similar build but it uses the R2E which has an LCD poster which is a godsend.

I am wondering....do you have anything on the CPU fan header on the MoBo.

I think the 295 has to go in the top slot....my son avoided issues here with the R2E's daughter sound card

You have the 8 pin EPS cable plugged in near the CPU ....IOW did you yank off the cover off the 4 plugs so you could use the 8 pin instead of the 4 pin.

Here's a bonehead mistake I made doing my son's .... the Dell U2410 doesn't default to DVI input. Had to sue the on screen controls to set that and voila ! I woulda done everything you did except I got lucky in the fact that Dell has specials only every 2-3 weeks on that monitor where it can be bought for like $514. Using his older monitor in the 1st turn on worked just fine. Only cause it was working on the old one did I knock outv the assumption that DVI would be the "default" monitpor setting.

scionix

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

First of all, thank you both for the replies.

So, the D0 stepping thing worries me, because I KNOW I have a D0 stepping i7 because of the better overclocking. I will call ASUS and try updating the bios. Also, I have two monitors, and thinking like you, I used the other monitor which is not HDMI. Neither has shown activity. And yes, I took off the plug and am using the 8 pin connection. And no, I don't have a fan connected to the CPU fan header because I water cool. Would the mobo not POST if it doesn't recognize a fan? If so, that's kind of, er, stupid. I'll try all of this tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes, I've put in my old mobo for now so I can use a computer in the first place.

Again, thanks for the help.