Need Some MAJOR help, THANK YOU :D

LethalPudding

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Im sure this has been asked many times, but i was wondering if my Dell XPS 410 would be capable of running the VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB Graphics Card? I am trying to prepare for COD MW2. When i went to a local computer store, they said if i was going to get a new Graphics card that i should also get 2GB more of RAM, and i was also wondering if that was true.

Thank You for your time.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Yes, it should run the 4870 fine, careful with teh size though as I'm not sure how that MB is layed out.

As for ram, it is not all that pricey and more will help (you seem to only have 2gig). However, with a 1gig GPU you will be running out of address space fast on a 32bit OS. Probably only be able to use a bit under 3gig at the most regardless of how much you put in it. Without upgrading to a 64bit OS of course.

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
if u have a 64bit OS then go for it.

if ur 4870 is a 1GB card and u have 4GB system RAM, you'd have total of 5GB memory that needs t be addressed by a 32bit OS won't be able to address that much. if ur OS is 32bit you should upgrade it.

ram is cheap, here is why 4gb is better than 2gb:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf

With a dell, make certain that the vga card fits, and that your psu is adequate. Dell does not usually give you a psu that does more than power what you ordered. You might ask the local store to check that out.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Dell actually gives very solid PSU's. All of their mid-high end comptuers and up have been exclusive users of PC power and cooling PSU's for years. Though it is best to have a look to make sure.