Sign in with
Your question

Is this deal on SSD worth it?

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2011 9:40:07 PM

So I've been debating on getting a SSD for a while now, and thought this would be a good deal by the time it's all said and done:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The original price isn't that great. But after I apply $25 new customer discount on orders over $100 (my wife will be a new customer) AND the $45 MIR, the total for a 64gb drive is only $50! Less than $1/gb.

I know these aren't the greatest drives out there, but can you really beat that price? Let me know your thoughts, as the new customer bonus is only for today and tomorrow, or until funds run out.

More about : deal ssd worth

a c 308 G Storage
April 14, 2011 10:19:16 PM

Looks like there is a firmware issue:

We have discovered a technical issue with our SSDNow V100 which could result in drive failure. While we have observed this issue in only a small percentage of drives, Kingston strongly recommends that a new firmware update D110225a be applied to all V100 drives to prevent possible failure. Please open attached link for upgrade instructions.

NEW Firmware - D110225a
OLD Firmware - D100811a

http://www.kingston.com/support/ssdnow/v100_firmware.as...

If the firmware update solves the problem, then it is probably okay. Just remember this is a "value" drive as opposed to a high end, high performance drive.
Related resources
April 14, 2011 10:34:36 PM

I did read about the firmware issue on Newegg, so I am aware of it going in.

I also read on the reviews that Kingston has a very good MIR program compared to some of the other ripoffs out there that take 10-12 weeks (if at all!).

I am basically going to use it for a boot drive with a few programs installed, so it won't be written to that much. I thought the read speeds looked pretty good, and the price is right. Do you think it would work okay in that regard? I currently have 2 Samsung 1TB F3's in RAID 1 and would like to use them for storage only, instead of having Windows and everything else on them.
a b G Storage
April 14, 2011 10:50:39 PM

I'm suspicious of any mail in rebate. For computer components, I have received about 50% of the ones that I have sent in.

The user ratings on newegg are not very good for that particular SSD.
a b G Storage
April 14, 2011 10:52:09 PM

hard to go wrong at that price if the firmware fixes will alleviate future issues. Coming from an R1 OS volume, you should be amazed by the perfomance
April 14, 2011 10:55:31 PM

I saw the reviews about the firmware issue. There were also complaints about the lack of mounting brackets being included. For this price though, I don't think I'm too concerned about the brackets.

I figure it's only a $50 risk if I receive the rebate, and thus far, I have never not received a rebate (eventually!). Gigabyte took 3 months, but it finally came through.
a c 122 G Storage
April 15, 2011 2:27:22 AM

cadder said:
I'm suspicious of any mail in rebate. For computer components, I have received about 50% of the ones that I have sent in.

I have yet to not get a rebate ..... as much as $100 on a build at times.... my guess is the lesser known "off brands" are more likely to result in the kind of thing you experienced.
April 15, 2011 2:44:03 AM

Damn! Just got home and found out that that model is sold out! Guess I could still pick up a Vertex 2 for $85 after rebate.
a b G Storage
April 15, 2011 3:09:28 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I have yet to not get a rebate ..... as much as $100 on a build at times.... my guess is the lesser known "off brands" are more likely to result in the kind of thing you experienced.

^+1

I missed one. Christmas gift for the wife one year (okay a tech gift for me but it went in her laptop? Does that make it for her? Can't even remember what it was... upgrades baby). Of course, I didn't cut the upc off until sometime after xmas and mailed the thing with ONLY one week (more or less) until the end of the rebate. Months later I received something saying I was too late. I'm sure they should have received it on time but... lesson learned. Buy, Cut, Download, Print, Mail no eating or sleeping until the cycle is complete.

Next time grab the $50 to $100 gamble and run. I did with a pair of kingston ssdnow v30 things from the stone age. They revolutionized my life (ok I liked them more than my 7200rpm raid 0 boot partition). Now they are shelved to be used as L2ARC in my next server and they will help keep speeds above 100MB/s.
a b G Storage
April 15, 2011 4:09:48 AM

imho.. yup. good deal from Buy.com never used them but never specifically heard a problem.
!