First time builder... OC GTX 580 (Should i and how)

adam1712

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi there, im building my first system this weekend and i have ordered an Asus 1.5Gb GTX 580 DirectCUII ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1536mb-asus-gtx-580-directcu-ii-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-782mhz-shader-1544mhz-512-cores-hdmi-dp )

My question is, should i overclock this card? Obviously it has huge cooling so i would expect i should oc it but im not sure how i do it and how much i should do it. Only experience ive had is with slightly ocing a 9600GT.

All i did with that was push up the 2 clocks and test untill i found tearing or my pc crashed. Is this the right technique? Im not too sure i want to start playing with the voltage of the thing i just want to get the max out of it considering the huge cooler it comes with.

A dumbass' guide to GPU OC'ing would be good if anyone knows a good one, only one i can find is from 2004.

Thanks,
Adam

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
ya, don't overclock it -- especially with little to no knowledge of it -- just enjoy what you have for now, you won't get a real big jump in performance compared to stock.

you already have a huge jump from the 9600 to the 580 (i went from a 8500 to a 460GTX 768 model and have been extremely happy)

if in the future you do want to overclock, you can try MSI's afterburner software and Kombuster

If you ARE an overclocker, you need overclock that GPU but if you aren't in the overclocker world, run the GPU at stock speed and be happy with the excellent performance of it.

If I were you...that GPU will go to LN2 as soon as I have it in my hands :lol: