Long life 2500k 4.5ghz OC?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz turbo clock
Scythe Mugen 2
Zalman Z9 Plus (7 Fans)
ASUS P8Z68-V

So I just overclocked my 2500k, in the bios the turbo ratio is at 45, the voltage is 1.3511. (And I turned all the other fancy EEFI bios settings to 'high' or 'extreme')

In real life, its idling around 36 degress celcius, at 1.336volts.
I'm seeing just under 60 degrees celcius (load), and 1.296 volts under load.

This seems like a big jump in voltages, is this bad?

(I havnt had time to run a long prime test, but its held up for 45 minutes. (Not officially stable, I know, but I'll work on it later.))

Will these voltages/temps lower the life of this CPU? I really want it to last very long...

EDIT: After I chose best answer I went into bios and turned the Load Line Calibration way up and dropped the voltage to 1.33, and now the voltage under load is 1.32. Right on target!

Solution
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265056-11-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

There probably is a slightly shortened life but these things are made to last a long time (longer than you will probably end up using it) so it won't be noticeable.

And all of this was at the lowest possible voltage settings to increase the longevity of my hardware.

The lower the voltage, the better. And I know that anything under 1.35V is safe for the i5-2500k.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259417-29-does-overclocking-shortens-life-span

That link isn't for an i5-2500k but it is still useful.

No overclocking does not hurt a cpu at all.

It's overvolting and heat that shortens the lifespan of the cpu.

Your temps are fine and the voltage...

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Strange that the voltage is going down during load (rather than up) but not bad as such.
Usually (with power saving features enabled), the voltage goes down when the CPU is idling and goes up during load. So the jump in voltages isn't bad as long as the max is below the safe limits of the CPU.
The voltage for the i5-2500k is fine as long as it doesn't go above 1.35volts.

For a 4.5Ghz overclock at load, 60 degrees celsius is pretty good.
These things are fine up to 90 degrees (though optimally, you don't want it going above 75-80).

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
But if you run it at 1.33 volts for 4 years, it wont hurt it right? I mean, I'm not afraid of blowing it up, but if this overclock hurts my cpu in the longrun........

Oh, one other thing, when I start prime the CPU goes from ~36 degrees to ~58 in a matter of seconds. It stops at 59/60, but is it normal for it to heat up like that?

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265056-11-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

There probably is a slightly shortened life but these things are made to last a long time (longer than you will probably end up using it) so it won't be noticeable.

And all of this was at the lowest possible voltage settings to increase the longevity of my hardware.

The lower the voltage, the better. And I know that anything under 1.35V is safe for the i5-2500k.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259417-29-does-overclocking-shortens-life-span

That link isn't for an i5-2500k but it is still useful.

No overclocking does not hurt a cpu at all.

It's overvolting and heat that shortens the lifespan of the cpu.

Your temps are fine and the voltage is all good so it should be ok.

About Prime95 heating, it does put immense stress on your CPU so heating up quickly is expected. It doesn't happen quite that fast for me, but within 30 seconds it starts stabilising like you mentioned. Overclocking probably makes it heat up faster.

Solution

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't opened one of these myself in a while so I can't exactly remember, but there should be a button under each of my replies which says something along the lines of "Choose this as the best answer".
You only have to click it once, on the response you thought was the best answer.

It has to be a Question Thread not a Discussion Thread to select a Best Answer.

So I changed it for you, now you can select your Best Answer. Ryan