Can my MB work with a SATA drive?

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I have a HP m495c Media Center pc and I want to replace the hard drive which is IDE. The motherboard is an ASUS P4SD-LA model and the HP name for it is Oxford-UL6E. It has 2 SATA 1.5 connectors. I got the following information from the specifications on the HP website:

Serial ATA * Intel ICH5 supports two UltraDMA/150 SATA connectors

Onboard IDE * Intel ICH5 embedded Dual channel Bus Master ports supports UltraDMA 100/66
connectors, PIO Mode 3/4, and hot swap function
* Intel ICH5 embedded Serial ATA port support to Ultra DMA 150 and hot swap
function

What I want to do is clone my original hdd to a larger 320gb or 500gb hdd and use the new one in the computer and convert the old one to an external drive. I want to know if I can use a SATA drive or do I need to buy an IDE drive? Also, what settings would I have to change in the BIOS?

Thanks for the help.

Solution
You can use any sata hardrive, but it will run at the slower 1.5 speed. You won't notice the difference; it will still be fast. Use the hardrive software to setup your new drive. I use maxblast 5 for maxtor or seagate drives, but other brands have similar software for download free if you don't have a cd. No bios changes are necessary. Download the hardrive software on your old drive, and install it. Then power down, and install your new sata drive in an empty 3.5 inch bay in your case. Use a locking sata cable, which is the newer variety, if possible to prevent the cables from coming loose. And don't forget the power supply lead. Then turn on the system, and run the software; it will detect your new sata drive. Tell the software you...
You can use any sata hardrive, but it will run at the slower 1.5 speed. You won't notice the difference; it will still be fast. Use the hardrive software to setup your new drive. I use maxblast 5 for maxtor or seagate drives, but other brands have similar software for download free if you don't have a cd. No bios changes are necessary. Download the hardrive software on your old drive, and install it. Then power down, and install your new sata drive in an empty 3.5 inch bay in your case. Use a locking sata cable, which is the newer variety, if possible to prevent the cables from coming loose. And don't forget the power supply lead. Then turn on the system, and run the software; it will detect your new sata drive. Tell the software you want it to be your boot drive when prompted. Then select the " copy drive to drive" feature and the system will power down. After rebooting, the software will begin the copying process, which takes about 10-15 minutes. It will power down after it's done. Then change the ide drive jumper to the slave position and reboot. Then you're done. If you don't know the slave pin setting, look it up online on the manufacturer's website, instruction manual, or on the hardrive label.

Solution