thedutcharmy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hey guys I built this computer about a year and a half ago it was pretty top of the line back then:

Mobo: Evga nvidia nforce 650i ultra

Processor: Intel core 2 duo conroe E6850 3.0 ghz (Dual core)

Video card: EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB 320bit GDDR3

Ram : OCZ Gold 4 gigs DDR2 800

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320gig 7200 rpm sata 3.0 Gb/s

PSU: pc power and cooling 610watt

Monitor: Samsung LCD 40 inch 1080p Television.

Typical Resolution I run at 1920x1080

anyway I was discussing frame rates with some friends and began to realize my frame rates are disgustingly low. It typically gets 25-30 fps but it some times gets down to as low as 12-15 in high stress areas such as Dalaran in world of warcraft.

My computer skill is enough to build and get a computer running and a moderately high knowledge pf windows but I don't know much past that, I have however been reading into over clocking because my computer has a ridiculous amount of fans.

I have felt that I never really got the max out of the system since I built it but just haven't gotten around to trying to push the system further, from what I have gathered this computer should be in the 40-50 fps range but I'm lucky if I get half of that, any help would be great thanks guys.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
definately your graphics card. your CPU probably isnt the limiting factor here. wouldnt hurt to OC it though

i would probably get a 4890 over the GTX 260 if youve got the pocket change.
Even with OCing, your 8800 isnt going to squeeze much more performance out. its just simply old.

thedutcharmy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I know the card is a bit old but it was one of the top 3 back when I built the computer, are you sure its the graphics card?

I have a friend that pretty much runs the same setup I'm running the only difference is that he is running the 320 mb version of the same card and he is running XP instead of vista, and he gets 35-50 fps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I believe the card is good enough to get the 40ish fps that I want I just want to know why I'm not getting that.

I've had a few people point out that vista 32 bit is a bit slugglish and that since I have 64 bit I'm not making full use of my ram cause it cannot address all of it.

any other ideas out there, is there anyway to slimdown vist to get more performance?, anything to adjust in the mobo bios? I don't know lol I'm just trying to get some more life out of these parts. that video card costed ~300 when I first bought it on newegg.

What resolution is he running at though? That card is pretty weak to be running 1920x1080. You can get a significantly stronger card for about $150 but 200 would be better as it would get you a 4890 which is one of the strongest single card solutions out there.

Do you have a good internet connection to support wow? if not that might be a source of your low FPS.

thedutcharmy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
he runs almost the same setup as me as I mentioned before, his monitor is a 46 inch lcd tv I'm not sure what res he plays at. and yea I do have a pretty solid connection with Comcast. It is not a connection issue, what card would be the most bang for my buck? in the 200-250 range?