Sign in with
Your question

SSD and HDD working together???

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2011 3:42:21 PM

I found plenty of articles on the differences of SSD vs. HDD but, what about performance together?

I plan to buy a 120GB Vertex 3 and use it as my boot drive for OS, CS5, etc software. Also I have 2 enterprise WD 500 gig drives I want to raid 0 for working media files and a 1 TB HDD for storage.

When writing (rendering) from the SSD to the HDD is the write speeds going to be limited bc of the HDD or should I just write to the free space on my SSD and then transfer the files for storage to the HDD? Or get a second 120GB Vertex 3 SSD for writing to?

Since SSD are still fairly small in GB size vs. HDD and SSD get crazy expensive for larger GB I think this combo in some form will be the norm for many users moving over to SSD (Until SSD prices come way down and get way bigger). Knowing the benefits and disadvantages of how they interact I think would be great info for all.

-Thx

More about : ssd hdd working

a c 99 G Storage
April 15, 2011 6:06:38 PM

1-120GB Vertex 3 (if you have SATA III ports/mobo) and 2x500GB in RAID 0, and 1-1TB for storage is a great idea. Check my signature.

Yes, writing from a SSD to HDD will be limited to the speed of the HDD. Try NOT to write too much to the SSD, but don't dwell on it!

Check out this webpage for SSD Tweaks. The SSD Review's The SSD Optimization Guide.

Read carefully, not all tweaks listed are needed.
m
l
April 16, 2011 12:53:59 AM

I'm running my OS off of a Crucial 64gb Sata III SSD, two WD RE3 250gb HDD in raid0 on sata II, and a HD Cav blk 500gb for storage. The writes to the raid drives isn't bad at all.
I've downloaded AS SSD to compare my drives' write/read speeds. The Crucial SSD only has a write of 75mb/s, and a read of around 350 mb/s. I'm getting 150mb/s writes off of my raid drives. I transfer files to my single HDD when time isn't an issue.
m
l
April 25, 2011 9:07:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the links foscooter.

I ended up going with the Vertex 3 240. Based upon a solid review comparing the 120 to the 240 there were strong enough differences when working heavy data that the 240 excels well above the 120 and the extra room is always good when working 50GB worth of files for a single project.

So here is what I ended up with:

Intel 2600k @ 4.3 stable
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155
OCZ Vertex 3 240 SSD - ATTO 545/515 mb/s
2 WD RE4 64MB cache 500GB drives in raid 0
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB @ 1600
ASUS GTX580 CUII
Kingwin 1000w laser
LIAN LI PC-B25FWB Black Aluminum ATX Mid

Have not gotten to the 1 TB storage drive, but so far I must say this thing is blazing!
Sandforce really stepped up to the plate with this one.

m
l
!