Overclocking CPU ruin graphics card?

moosky13

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
hello all,

Can overclocking a cpu ruin a graphics card? I have a P5Q SE Plus, Intel Q9400 2.6, Radeon HD 4870 1ghz, 1000 watt PSU, 4gb corsair xms2 memory, 250 gig 7200rpm seagate hard drive, cooler master HAF 922 case, corsair H50 liquid cooling. I successfully overclocked to 3.6 no problem. I use dual monitors and I just switched one of the monitors to a samsung 22" LCD flat panel TV. After switching to the TV, I started seeing dots all over the monitor and tv screen. I went into the BIOS and switched everything back to the defaults (2.6ghz). I still see dots. Did I just ruin my graphics card?

Did you try to run the PCI bus faster than 100 MHz when you OC'd your CPU? If you did, that's not a good idea.

The artifacts you are seeing on screen could be caused by a bad driver (if you are lucky) or a malfunction in the video card.

Before you pull the card to test it in another system, go to the manufacturer's website, download the latest drivers, and try reloading the video drivers.

Honestly, it's probably not the drivers. But it might be. Plus it will not take long and it will not cost any money.

Try reinstalling drivers. OC'ing a CPU pretty much can't break your graphics without something extremely unlikely and strange happening. If you overstressed your PSU (some cheap 1000W only provide like 500W) you might have strained the graphics card, but I doubt you'd actually damage it like that.

moosky13

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Soooo...... I took the video card out. Cleaned all the dust off with a can of air. Re-installed the drivers. And can you believe somehow AMD Overdrive was enabled and pushing my card to the extreme. Strange. But I turned that off and my pc is good. Thank god. I didn't really have the extra money to buy a new video card. Thanks again for the help everyone!!!