Sign in with
Your question

Overclock core 2 duo e7400

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2011 1:27:31 AM

hello guys
this is my first thread here in this wonderfull helpfull forum and iam calling it that cause i saw so many problems has been solved in this forum and i hope to solve mine too

i am going to purchase a used core 2 duo e7400 instead of bran new dual core e5700 cause they are the same price here in my country about 80$

and i am going to use it with g41 Motherboard
and all i am asking is
how can i OC it to at most 3.1-3.2GH with my stock cooling system and 350 psu and do you think the deffrince between 2.8GB and 3.1-3.2GB worth the risk of overcloking it ?!!!

i know that there is so many old posts talking a bout this
but i am asking if anyone have the same motherboard and overcloked the same cbu on it would you tell me does the deffrince worth ??!!!
and would you tell me too how did you do it step by step please

and i am so sorry for my poor language
a c 86 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2011 1:36:08 AM

There are many G41 boards. We would need more info on the one you have. G41 isn't known for its OCing abilities. It might not OC much at all. I would just read the guides, and ask for help when you need it.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 12, 2011 7:05:46 AM

What brand and model of motherboard? We need to know this.

What 47 said is correct. The G41 isn't known for its overclocking abilities.

But ...

The G31/G41 chipset is an economy, entry level chipset. Unless you get really lucky, you will not be able to push the FSB freq past about 360 MHz. On one of my G'byte G41 boards, FSB freq of 352 MHz works. 353 MHz doesn't. One user here had one that he couldn't push past 345 MHz.

That means that any CPU with a 333 MHz FSB is a poor OC candidate for a G41 board. You will, at best, be able to achieve a 10% overclock. A 10% overclock will be barely noticeable.

With the E5200 and E7200 series chips, things are a little different because of the lower FSB freq and higher internal multiplier.

But even with an E7400 chip (10.5 X internal multiplier), you cannot count on more than about a 3.6 GHz or so core speed before the G41 motherboard reaches its FSB limit.

If I were planning to overclock a G41 board (oh, wait, I have three :) ) and I needed a CPU for it, I would choose the E5700. The 200 MHz FSB and X15 internal multiplier means the chip will run out of corespeed long before the motherboard reaches its FSB limit. And the smaller cache will not affect overall system performance that much.

The lower FSB speed also means you can get by with cheaper memory.

As I said above, I have 3 G'byte G41's. All are in home office systems.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

If you have a Gigabyte board, Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar. The G41 will have fewer settings.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Don't worry about overclocking the RAM. In a Core2 system, it will not accomplish much.

You will need better cooling - not great, just better than stock.

Do not run CPU core voltage over 1.45 volts. Keep your CPU load temperature under 70 C.

m
l
!