Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destoney92

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hey ! Im new here =) Nice to meet you all. I JUST built a new system First time actually =D I did all my research and everything is compatible. Heres my build and then ill get to the problem

Q9550 Proccesor
Antec 900 Case
Zalmen 9700 cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Caviar black 750Gig
Windows 7 Home Full
Gskill 4 Gig Ram 1066
ICEQ 4670 512mb

Now i read up that this motherboard has a huge problem with
1066 ram but i noticed that AFTER i ordered everything.
I'm currently waiting for the Hard drive and OS. But i
started the system up to see if everything turned on just to
make sure. Everything started up and i was very pleased to
see that. The red lights on the motherboard are ALL on green
orange and red. Is that supose to be on? Remember i dont have
the Hard drive or os on it. I wanted to check if there was video.
And there is not ANY picture at all moniter doesnt even blink.
Im going to start my questioning off with Is this all normal?
should i wait out until I get the Hard drive and os or is there
something supose to show up? Thanks EveryOne.

Shoeski

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure you should still be able to post without a hard drive, and you will definitely be able to post without an OS. that motherboard is a complete hit or miss with its memory controller, so here's a few questions:

what slots are you running the memory in, and are you running both sticks?
are you sure everything is plugged in? (if everything is plugged in you should see all of your fans running, including the ones on your graphics card)
the lights being on is normal for startup, but once the computer posts they should turn off. (im pretty sure they indicate processor load)

let me know asap!

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

You do not need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, or any drives to POST. You will need a monitor to see any messages.

Neither the Antec 900 case nor the motherboard have a system speaker. If you don't have one, you will need one, particularly with a nonworking system.

Is your memory voltage set to factory specs? And while I am talking about memory, let me say, "There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM." Got your attention now, yes? :) DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings. The G'byte boards have no particular problem with the faster memory.

Summary of my systems:
GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5)
GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)

Destoney92

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
You are right i do not have A speaker and dont have one neither. I cant hear my proccesor running even holding all the fans the cpu heat sink ( zalmen 9700 ) does not heat up at all. I think im going to need a new power supply this motherboard has a 6 pin connector for the cpu. EVERY fan works correctly All are lit up all work fine. Im pretty sure i have the LEDS plugged in correctly.

Shoeski

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
actually the more recent p45 gigabyte boards have a huge load of problems (relatively large amount) running 1066 memory at max speed, ESPECIALLY gskill (not gskill's fault tho, purely gigabyte's poor response).

i say it's a relatively large amount because most boards have no problem running ddr2 1066 at their full speed, but there are way more boards with defective memory controllers than should be the case with such a large manufacturer like gigabyte. it honestly is a toss-up with the ep45-ud3p, each one needs to be tinkered with on a case-by-case manner in order to get 1066 to run (there are a good number that can auto-detect settings at 1066, and even more of these boards auto-detect the memory clocked at 800)

if you can't post with 1 memory stick (either in slot 1 or 2), then you're motherboard deserves an RMA

if you CAN post with just 1 stick in, and you CAN'T post with two sticks in corresponding dual channel slots (ie slots 1&3, 2&4), then in this case try running with two sticks in slots 1&2 or 3&4. if you CAN post with two sticks NOT IN DUAL CHANNEL (no dual channel would mean the memory is in slots 1&2 or 3&4) then it means your memory controller is broken and you need an RMA, no big deal.

basically, ddr2 1066 needs to be manually set to run at listed speed, but the board should still be able to post at ddr2 800 with auto settings.

Destoney92

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I Tried taking the memory out and tried different kinds and everything I seriously do NOT hear the proccesor. I think its the power supply or the motherboard. I tried 1 Memory stick i tried a different brand and everything but nothing. Im going to take the computer to a computer fix place and see what they can do. How well does newegg go with DOA's?

Shoeski

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
you shouldn't hear anything coming from the processor at all, are you talking about the fan? does the computer go into reboot cycles or does it turn on and just do nothing?

newegg is great with DOAs, you'll just have to pay to ship it back and they will ship you a new one with free next day air UPS

Destoney92

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Im going to Rma the motheboard. Should i try this build myself again? Or should i bring it to a computer fix they said they would charge 40 bucks to put it all in and install window 7

lennyz1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I just did a hardware swap this week on my puter and installed a EP45-UD3P and had no issues. I also installed 8 GB of new OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 and it auto detected that is was 1066 and timings were corrrect.

You need a system speaker to troubleshoot or you will just end up blindly replacing parts.

As far as autodetecting 1066 settings is concerned, it depends on the values programmed into the RAM SPD chips. A lot of what is sold as DDR2-1066 RAM has only DDR2-800 values programmed into the SPD memory. That does not mean there is a problem with the memory controller.

No. The 6 pin connectors are PCI-e power plugs. The pinout is different for the 4 and 8 pin CPU power plugs.

You need a system speaker to troubleshoot or you will just end up blindly replacing parts.

As far as autodetecting 1066 settings is concerned, it depends on the values programmed into the RAM SPD chips. A lot of what is sold as DDR2-1066 RAM has only DDR2-800 values programmed into the SPD memory. That does not mean there is a problem with the memory controller.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

I have a similar setup....just upgraded to it. GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.6), Q9400, 2x1GB gSkill 1066 RAM
But after a few hours it usually freezes. It passes Memtest86, IBT, prime95 testing.
Any Ideas? Gigabyte does not mention supporting g.skill

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Please do not post your email address in a open forum. We will use the forums to reply to each other. If you wish to contact an individual, you can click on the green envelope to send a Private Message (PM).

mtnhermit

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Now I'm a little worried about my rig I'm getting ready to build this weekend.
GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9400 2.66GHz
OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
ZOTAC ZT-95TEK2M-FSL GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2
Build is for light duty video editing.
Hoping it all works.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Thought I'd post the solution here just incase someone reads it. The one network port was causing the problems...when i disabled it via the bios it became stable. I still sent it back for a replacement. Been rockin ever since without having to disable anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.