32nm cpus. will you upgrade?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
with windows 7 coming out and a supposed total reconstruction from vista, it sounds like beefy hardware is not a necessity to run a smooth new windows os. with this in mind.... do you guys see yourselves upgrading to new 32nm cpus anytime soon? there are a lot of guys with i7s sure.... but guys like me that primarily game do not see a need for upcoming 6 core 32nms as of yet... but damn the idea is tempting :lol: any definite upgrades and if so why?

I'll be building a new rig in the near~ish future (Qtr~half year, or so) to replace/suppliment my current Q6600 based one. Waiting a little while because all of the pieces haven't quite lined up (5870x2 not available yet, seeing if Samsung or another panel maker come out with screens with really thin bezels, Price gouging by retailers on Intel's G2 SSD's etc...). One thing or the other, I can deal with. But at the moment there's too many considerations not to wait for the environment to change, and it's not like my current rig is "slow" anyhow.

At this rate, though, a 6 core proccy isn't something I'm seriously considering - It'll be a Quad. Whether 32nm or not will depend on when everything else lines up to my liking. I'll overclock, but not hugely so (3.4~3.6 range, depending on how voltages/temps work out).

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Near-future 32nm CPUs are:
i9 which will cost $1000
i3 which will replace Core 2 Duo
so, unless i9 magically drops to $300 or i3 threaten the Phenom II line, none will be in my upgrade list nor on many other's.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
By the time I get the time and money to build my new system i9 could be an option, but I won't pay for Extreme Editions - I doubt i9 will remain exclusively EE though as Intel always follow the same pattern of releasing a new chip as EE first, then bulk out the family afterwards.

As a media creator primarily I want an i9 like you wouldn't believe, but it'll probably end up being a stupid OC on the i7 920 instead like I've been planning for what seems like a thousand years.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Thats what I am waiting on.

LOL - I've been "building" a new rig since last spring, and still haven't bought anything yet :). First it was an i920 D0 stepping, then an i5-860, then back to i7, except I was holding off purchases while trying to refinance my house for the super low rates. Since that's now over, I might as well wait for the 32nm CPUs as the ES samples look very promising. Great on power consumption or overclocking.

What I really want is a gaming + HTPC rig with at least 8 TB of storage for storing/streaming movies around the house. So I'm interested in the on-chip GPU 'dales' except I want a quad-core minimum, with the discrete GPU either shut off or in sleep mode for HTPC, and the opposite for gaming. And cooling is gonna be a consideration as well, since I'm gonna put this in an expensive desk in a first-floor "office". The desk has a cubby or niche with a front and back door for straight-through airflow, but I might just go with water cooling so that I can mount the radiator on the interior side panel where it won't be seen. But, it has to be absolutely foolproof as I have expensive wood flooring, and a leak would be a disaster.

I've already got a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma TV for both HTPC and gaming, but currently it's hooked up to an old lappy that doesn't even upscale DVD's to 1080p. However my brother brought over his Dell M1730 XPS and we checked out several BD movies - best picture I've ever seen :). And that's with me sitting 4 ft. away, where every flaw would stand out.

Sounds like you're considering the multi-panel "Eye-finity" setup :). That would probably be quite awesome, but my wife would object to my doing that in the first-floor office. Why, I dunno - it's not like I'm gonna be doing any actual work in there :D. That's why I have a cheap desk in a basement room to hold my telecommuting equipment when I do work@home one day a week.

I have a Dell 2707 WFP that I use with my Q6700 rig - it has a half-inch bezel but silver, not black. You'd probably want monitors with a 1/8th inch bezel or less if you're gonna rack them. Probably have to wait until the larger OLED panels come out before you can get a no-bezel monitor.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I still haven't outgrown a prescott. 90nm, and 45nm mixed in one, the vid card is 55nm, the mobo..not many mention that one...
If to gather the facts, sure I'd upgrade eventually. I have said this many times: the nm becoming real, started with a prescott. I notice nothing anymore, all the vid cards, the dramatic changes in ten years, that started being noticably decent at 65nm. after that, I don't care to panic and upgrade. I do if i want to.

and multithreading is decent from a strong enough singular source. multi core, and then multi-threading.. it can big some big wiritten hoaxes, and it is the shame for several years now.. name one program that uses it? bet its a whole long list of tiny chores from one name. movie encoding is still a tragedy it needs big. One core BIG.it doesn't exist...

Sounds like a plan :). However you'll probably be waiting 2 years for an AMD 32nm CPU. And I dunno if Bulldozer will work on AM3 - supposed to have a GPU on-package or on-die, last I heard.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

+1. While AMD does have the "new processors on old sockets!" thing going for it now, eventually they will have to change the motherboard architecture to suit the new processors.

Yah - Eye~finity appears to be quite sweet. And along those lines, I saw an advert this morning on TV for an (LG) HDTV with *No* bezel at all. So presumably, there will be computer monitors like that quite soon. And yah - I'll probably have to rack them. As for the wife: Some time ago I Paid (and boy *did* I...) for the "priviledge" of no longer having to answer to her ever again. :cry: So at least that's no longer a consideration.