Line-in stopped working

decibelle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I've been making MP3s from recordings made with my digital recorder, using a cable with an 1/8 inch headphone jack at each end plugged into the line-in port in my computer. I've never had any
problems until now; the line-in is not functioning. The cable has never been moved or unplugged since the first time I put it in. I've tried all the obvious things: rebooting, unplugging and re-plugging the jack, trying another cable, checking my volume settings to make sure nothing was muted; none of that helped. There seem to be no other problems with my audio: my microphone is working fine in the microphone port, and I can listen to and import music without a problem. The program I use to do the recording (Stepvoice) is working on its other settings (other than line-in), so it's not the program that's causing the problem. The sound card in my computer is Creative SB Live! Series (WDM), driver version 5.12.1.124. I'm running Win XP Home Edition 2002.

Can anyone please give me any suggestions what else I might try?

My guess is that I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere that is not
obvious, that is affecting the line-in.

Thanks,
Ellen

decibelle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I had already checked the volume settings, but I just ran the Creative Diagnostics. It gave a "fail" to mixer settings, so I ran a fix on that, after which it passed. But the line-in still does not work. What should I do next?

Thanks,
Ellen