Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Help

JHamy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I had bought an all-in-one PC from Gateway about 8 months back and recently decided to upgrade from the HD 3450 that came with it. I found the 4870 on Newegg.com and thought it was a steal. I purchased a new power supply (600w) and the card. I had no problems with the power supply but the card is making me jump through hoops. I disabled on-board graphics through my bios because it had an HD 3200, so you can imagine the driver problems I had there. I've updated my monitor drivers (HP w2207h) and cannot figure out what else to do. When I plug in the card and try to start my monitor goes to sleep. It will make it to different parts of the boot process, sometimes even loading windows, but as my drivers are 'automatically' updated for me (the 4800 series) the monitor will shut off. HELP PLEASE! I'm running an AMD Phenom Quadcore 2.2 ghz, 4 gig ram, and vista 64.

Hmm....

Sounds like its still trying to go to another GPU, the onboard, instead of the card. In BIOS, did you set it to PEG first? Thats pretty important.

Also, try a different monitor. Maybe its just the monitor itself.

The only problem I had was I have my HDTV and my monitor hooked up and it always tried to default to the TV.

JHamy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

No, can't say that I did. For that matter, can't say that I know what that is or how to do it. In BIOS all I had was the option 'On-Board Graphics' and I set it to 'Disable'. I went back in after reading your post and didn't see anything about 'PEG'.

Bloch

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
im having the same problem, i got an Ati Radeon HD 4850, i've set PEG as default, disabled onboard vga adapter, when its done loading windows it goes to SLEEP mode and nothign else happens, cant even start on safe mode it gets stuck on the crcdsk.sys something and restarts the computer, it only works when i activate my vga onboard adapter, if i try to plug it into my ati nothing i get that error, any help?
thank you