Problems building (first) Pc

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hellow together. Yesterday, I've started building my first system. There were a few "problems" I could solve myself but now Im facing one I dont know the solution for.

First of all thats my build:

Uses: GAMING, (watching movies, downloads, Surfing....)

Overclocking: YES a lot, The cpu is from the unlockable batch Xfire: maybe in future (don't think the 650tx is enough for two 4890's)

Corsair 650 tx

Cm 690

PhenomII x3 720

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (i know it's overkill but I "had" to buy it due to bad avaiability of the competitors)

His 4890

Ram : 4GB Kit of 2 2x240 DIMM, DDR3 1333MHz , 9-9-9-24, Matched XMS3 with New Classic Heat Spreader

Wd caviar black 640

optical drive: Samsung SuperWriteMaster 22x bulk

and in two weeks or so a Xigmatec hdt-s 1283 should also arrive. until then I'l be using the stock amd cooler.

So now to my questions:

The Front panel of the Cm 690 has many connectors. I was able to connect all of them except for the Audio connectors.

It is 1 cable with two connectors. The first one is labeled with: Hd Audio I figured it should be connected with the F_Audio of the motherboard.
The seccond connector is labeled with Ac'97 and looks exactly like the Hd audio.

Where do I have to connect the Ac'97? It is atached to the Hd_audio and there's no plug on the motherboard (in range) where I could connect it.

Another question: Should I buy thermal grease or is the one coming with the Xigmatec hdt-s1283 good enough?

Should I use the fan from the stock Amd cooler as a case fan afterwards (motherboard has 1(additional) 4pin connector so noise shouldn't be a prob)

Thank you for your answers I'm sure they will help me a lot. If new questions arise I will ask them here.

Kind regards Erdinger

Read your motherboard manual. It will tell you if you have HDA or AC97. Odds are that you have HDA. You only use one or the other. I just fold the extra connector back and tie it to the cable.

If I didn't already have some Arctic Silver, I would use the grease that comes with the HSF. For suggestions on how to apply the thermal compound to an HDT style heatsink:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

If you want to use the stock HSF fan as an extra case fan, sure. Why not?

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Thank you a lot for the answer, it really helped me alot!

also nice to have a link for the thermal.

I just thought maybe it is to crapy.... k Now il try to start the pc wish me luck.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I restarted the Pc and recognized that the motherboard doesn't make a beep sound. As I said before I can go into the bios but shouldn't the motherboard give a Beep that tells me that everything is ok?

no, 99% of motherboards these days dont come with a case speaker or even a piezo buzzer so you wont get any beeps out of them. You need to buy a case speaker if you have an issue and need to hear the bios beeps.