Sign in with
Your question

Broken USB port on WD External Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
April 16, 2011 2:57:34 AM

Hello,
My USB port broke off of the WD Hard Drive. Can I fix this?
a c 116 G Storage
April 16, 2011 3:04:38 AM

One time I fixed the hot shoe on my camera with super glue. Worked as long as I didn't try to put a mechanical load on it. Super glue is worth a try. What do you have to lose?
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:06:35 AM

About 750 gb of information. Thank you I will try it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 116 G Storage
April 16, 2011 3:11:00 AM

gamingsemipro said:
About 750 gb of information. Thank you I will try it.

Try clamping the SATA cable and securing it in a temporary fashion just to transfer all the data on to another HDD. Make sure that the cable and the HDD are aligned well.
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:16:02 AM

Ok....you lost me. Haha. The hard drive is an external hdd and has a board that has the power input port a power button and is supposed to have the usb port this board plugs into the side of the hdd. The usb port broke off of the "power board".
m
l
a c 116 G Storage
April 16, 2011 3:30:07 AM

gamingsemipro said:
Ok....you lost me. Haha. The hard drive is an external hdd and has a board that has the power input port a power button and is supposed to have the usb port this board plugs into the side of the hdd. The usb port broke off of the "power board".

Can you take the HDD out of the external enclosure and then carefully plug in a SATA cable and then connect the other end to an unused SATA port on the computer motherboard? The connection at the motherboard end will be secure. It is the HDD end that must be temporarily aligned and clamped together in some secure fashion temporarily.
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:34:15 AM

I understand. I'm working on a laptop right now. I don't have a SATA cable to try that fix. I am going to try the super glue though.
m
l
a c 116 G Storage
April 16, 2011 3:45:22 AM

gamingsemipro said:
I understand. I'm working on a laptop right now. I don't have a SATA cable to try that fix. I am going to try the super glue though.

Great! Working on laptop? Doing your taxes? This year we have until the 18th.
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:51:06 AM

What I meant was the PC that I have is a laptop. And super glue is a no go the little metal connecters that connect the port to the board are broken.
m
l
January 30, 2012 6:48:02 PM

my usb port broke off in my wd external hard drive does anyone know how to fix it? lots of info going to be lost :( 
m
l
!