I'm going to water cool this system, advice?

Xigmatek Elysium Black (case supports 3x120 or 3x140 rad in roof with 110mm clearance from top of mobo to roof, and squeeze a 2x120 in the 5.25in area with some modding)
Corsair Pro Gold AX1200
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel i7-2600k
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1866 9-10-9-28 2T
EVGA GTX 580 x2

I haven't water cooled a system before but I've been researching it for months. I'm already running the i7 at 4.6ghz at 1.35v and got into Windows at 5.0ghz at 1.38v. I was just playing around with it, wasn't looking to make it stable or anything. It's rock solid at 4.6 and highest temps after 30 mins of prime95 on noctua nh-d14 is about 65 degrees or 45 above ambient.

I want to water cool for the fun and challenge.

I have been doing some "shopping" over at frozencpu and took a screenshot of my current wishlist. It's not a complete list. I'm looking for advice on what to add, what to remove, what to replace for better performance / lower sound, etc.

I'd like to have this rig as whisper quiet as possible while still offering up nice overclocks.

125no13.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

As far as fittings go, I really like the look of the black barbs. So I'm thinking about getting 45 degree fittings because they'll give me the straightest lines from one component to the next. I could use some help in nailing that aspect of the build down.

I plan to do 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD tubing, clear, distilled water, some additive(s), and maybe some black or red dye as well.

For resevoirs, I like some of the 2-bay choices. It's also possible to easily mount pump to the floor of case with a tube resevoir running straight up from it. There'd be ample room for that as well. I guess it may come down to which is safest to fill and drain.

There's a chipset block from EK but its meant for the asus p67 board. From what I understand, to use it on this board, it requires that you bend a capacitor out of the way. That sounds a little sketchy to me. I'd like to add chipset cooling to the loop but I'm not too fond of bending motherboard components lol

Is that reservoir you linked also a top for the pump? This is the area I get confused. To use it, you take off the top of the pump and then attach the resevoir? I looked at the pics and that's what it looks like to me...

The gpu blocks I have in screenshot are full cover blocks, aren't they? I checked them with EK's compatibility thinger.

I fully expect to miss a few things but I'd like to have as complete an order as possible so I don't have to go back a 3rd or 4th time and pay more shipping and handling hehe...

In my OP, i state i want to water cool for the fun and challenge of it. I realize a chipset cooler is unnecessary for performance but it will look really nice. (same reason i use a ram cooler, adds light and/or visual interest on my q6600 build)

Yeah, you need remove one part of the pump and attach the pump to the reservoir, it's very easy and without risk of do it wrong.

When I arrive home, I can take a picture for you.

Regarding the block, yeah, its' full cover sorry.

I'd not go with the mobo and RAM block since for me aren't productive but it's your choice and if you want it go for it.

I think I've settled on this fan for the radiators:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12712/fan-828/Enermax_TB_Silence_120mm_x_25mm_Twister_Bearing_LED_Fan_-_Red_LEDs_UCTB12N-R_.html?id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=19737

fan-828.jpg

And for the reservoir, if I go with a 2-bay one, I'd go for this and run 2 pumps in serial:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12480/ex-res-254/Koolance_RP-452X2_Dual_525_Reservoir_Rev_12_Serial_or_Parallel_for_1_or_2_Pumps_RP-450_Laing_D5_MCP655-B_MCP655.html?id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=19735

ex-res-254.jpg

But... some of the tube reservoirs look really nice also, but I still really like the idea of running 2 pumps for redundancy, idk yet....

I'm hoping to hear from more people with their unique spin on things.

Ok but it says 50dBA at 5400rpm, 150cfm. Suppose you slow em down to operate around 15-20dBA, and then its just a guess as to what the cfm and static pressure is... is that accurate? I'm not up to snuff on researching fans but with the radiators isn't there a point of diminished returns once you go above a certain fan speed / cfm ?

Edit: I'll keep looking at fans because whatever I commit to, I will have to buy 6 of them. 5 for the two radiators 1 for HDD bay.

The GTX radiators fan performs better with high RPM fans, if you slow down the rpm to reduce noise, the CFM also slow down.

And yeah, those scythe are build in a very solid way that can give you very good performance, if the 150 CFM aren't exactly the real one is very...very close.

OK. I'm going with the very popular red and black theme b/c of the motherboard / ram I chose.

It's going to be a showpiece of sorts. I'd like it to draw attention here locally and perhaps send folks to my door interested in custom work.

I just finished sleeving all of the front panel connectors and stock fans that came with the case, so I'll be finally moving the system into the case today. Right now its running on top of its own cardboard boxes for testing. The "air" version is done, anyway.

Now for the fans, I think red LED fans would be appropriate for the build. Ideally, I think black or smoked black housing / fins with red LEDs might look best. Do you have any fan suggestions within those specifications?

I could just get lighting from the tube lighting also... if I went that route. It's just some of those LED fans "look" really impressive.

I have enough room to support 38mm thick fans as well... Those might deliver the quiet and the air... what do you think?

With the denser GTX radiators, what should be my target range for cfm and static air pressure? This part is a bit overwhelming to consider as a fan must be as close to perfect in all areas - low dBA, high cfm, high static air pressure, and with any luck, look good while doing it all.... ughh.

I'm looking at:

Akasa Apache Black 120mm x 25mm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10345/fan-675/Akasa_120mm_x_25mm_Apache_Black_Super_Silent_PWM_Fan_w_Hydro_Dynamic_Bearings_-_Black.html?tl=g36c437s1125&id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=22066

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120x25mm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9301/fan-577/Cooler_Master_SickleFlow_120x25mm_Super_Silent_Fan_-_Red_LED_-_R4-L2R-20AR-R1.html?tl=g36c437s1125&id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=22094

Enermax Magma 120mm x 25mm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7658/fan-460/Enermax_Magma_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_w_Twister_Bearing_Technology_-_BlackRed_UC-MA12.html?tl=g36c437s1125&id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=22330

Aerocool Shark Red Edition 120mm x 25mm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12204/fan-795/Aerocool_Shark_Red_Edition_120mm_x_25mm_High_Air_Pressure_Fan_w_Red_LEDs.html?tl=g36c437s1126&id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=23596

Sooo many to look at... lol

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I'm curious though, if you've got the Elysium chasis, why aren't you using 140mm rads? Isn't that case designed to support a triple 140 up top and a double 140 at the bottom (with the PSU bottom mounted)?

If I opt to do a push/pull on the roof, i could put the top layer of fans on the outside and cover it with the koolance 3x120 radiator shroud (i think). A 3x140 shroud wouldn't work because I think the holes I'd have to drill would be too close to the edges of the case, if not over...

ex-rad-132.jpg

I watched some youtube videos of that 2-bay koolance reservoir and scrapped it.

Now I'm looking at the EK 2 pump series and the multioption res x2 250 basic.

EK-MultiOption RES X2 - 250 Basic

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11180/ex-res-227/EK-MultiOption_RES_X2_-_250_Basic_-_Liquid_Cooling_Reservoir_4_Total_Ports.html?id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=72299

EK 5.25" Mountable D5 Dual Top - Black Acetal

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12183/ex-pmp-111/EK_525_Mountable_D5_Dual_Top_-_Black_Acetal_-_Laing_D5_Swiftech_MCP650655_EK-D5_Dual_TOP_G14_-_Black_Acetal.html?id=KbrabobD&mv_pc=72298

I guess I'll mount the 2 pumps / top to the floor of the case and have the reservoir right on top of it. I can't tell if they come with everything needed to mate together.

I think I like this combo best because it'll be the lowest point in the case and I can have a drain tube out the side / bottom depending on exactly how I mount it. Seems like it'd be much easier to fill too, by just throwing on a long piece of scrap hose and a funnel. Does that sound about right?

I've been staring at the frozencpu site all damned day lol... I'm going squirrelly :pt1cable:

Here's the wishlist I made. Some items are listed for reference only so I can sort of keep track of everything I need. I have a really good electronics store nearby where I pick up all the braiding / heat-shrink / screws and other miscellaneous tools. I'm looking for suggestions that'll help me avoid any sub-standard hardware, installation problems, reliability / longevity problems, and any direct hardware replacements for what I've picked out thus far.

Please advise. Thank you.

EK 5.25" Mountable D5 Dual Top - Black Acetal - Laing D5 / Swiftech MCP650/655 (EK-D5 Dual TOP G1/4 - Black Acetal) x1

EK-MultiOption RES X2 - 250 Basic - Liquid Cooling Reservoir (4 Total Ports) x1

EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block w/ Easy Mount Kit - Rev 2 - Acetal + Electroless Nickel Plated (EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+EN (Nickel))

EK GeForce 570 / 580 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC580 GTX+ Acetal) Hot Item! x2
plus black backplate x2

EK FC Bridge Dual Serial - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial) x1

Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ Speed Control and 3/8" Conversion Kit (317 GPH) x2

Bitspower G1/4" Matte Black Rotary 45 Degree G1/4" Adapter (BP-MB45R) x12

Bitspower Deep Bold Red O-Ring - (10 Pack) (BP-WTP-010-DRD) x3

Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator - Black x1

Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 Radiator - Black x1

M4 x 35mm Pan Head Screws - Stainless Steel - Black - 4 Pack x6

PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2"ID 3/4"OD with 1/8" Wall - 10ft Retail Pack - Clear (PFLEXP10-34) x1

Danger Den Premium Tube Cutter - Designed For 3/4" OD Tubing Max x1

Primoflex Nylon Reusable Hose Clamp - Black - 3/4" OD x20

Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" Barb Fitting - 1/2" ID (BP-MBWP-C01) x4

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120x25mm Super Silent Fan - Red LED - (R4-L2R-20AR-R1) x6

IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip x1

Plus 2 more 1/2" ID Black Barbs per component that needs them so I'll have some extra stuff here and there.

Subtotal before tax and shipping is $1391.06 ugggghhh

Quick peek before I switch to water... haven't ordered anything yet. I'm getting some good feedback on another forum suggesting I should drop the bitspower and go for something better and less expensive.

Here's a look at the build in it's "air" config hehe.

mvrdol.jpg