Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Whats happens when lightning strikes and your computer shuts off and will not tu

Tags:
  • Shutdown
  • Computer
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
Anonymous
October 16, 2009 7:47:10 PM

working on computer and there was a lightning strike that nearly hit my house. my computer shut down and will not turn back on.Does anyone know how to diagnose what may have been fried. thank you

More about : whats lightning strikes computer shuts

October 16, 2009 7:52:30 PM

PSU is the starter for ten and just work through the chain after that, have you got any spare parts lying about or a friends rig you can borrow?
m
0
l
October 16, 2009 7:52:39 PM

Your first step is to check your surge protector to see if it has kicked off and requires to be turned back on, than work your way to the PSU, which should be the first to go on your PC... After that... you starting looking at the MOBO and CPU...
m
0
l
Related resources
October 16, 2009 7:55:07 PM

tecmo34 said:
Your first step is to check your surge protector to see if it has kicked off and requires to be turned back on, than work your way to the PSU, which should be the first to go on your PC... After that... you starting looking at the MOBO and CPU...

I was 9 seconds faster than you. [:mousemonkey:3]

(A pointless victory but the only one I've had today!)
m
0
l
October 16, 2009 8:03:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I was 9 seconds faster than you. [:mousemonkey:3]

(A pointless victory but the only one I've had today!)

No victory is pointless... only the weak find victory pointless... [:mousemonkey:1]
m
0
l
October 16, 2009 8:15:36 PM

tecmo34 said:
No victory is pointless... only the weak find victory pointless... [:mousemonkey:1]

:lol:  In that case let all tremble in fear lest my typing speed rips a hole in the space time continuum.
m
0
l
October 17, 2009 2:40:30 PM

Quote:
working on computer and there was a lightning strike that nearly hit my house. my computer shut down and will not turn back on.Does anyone know how to diagnose what may have been fried. thank you

Have a useful answer in the very next reply by using a meter to measure six wires between the motherboard and power supply. Other replies will have you buying parts until something works. To not learn what has failed or why.

Either get or borrow a multimeter. Take one minute (not even two minutes) to obtain the necessary numbers. Next reply lists the suspect. Identifies the only defective item - and why. No replacing perfectly good parts.

Your surge protector did exactly what its manufacturer's specs claim it would do. May have even contributed to computer damage; bypassing protection inside the computer.
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 15, 2010 12:29:18 AM

what are you talking about. is it going to work or not. do I need to take it in or junk it. tell me something
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 1:58:52 AM

Everyone has overlooked the most obvious question, what else in the house went out? If a nearby lightening strike is the cause, it should have created a multitude of problems.

What exactly happened? Everything, not just "my computer wont turn on". Did the power go out? Was anything else damaged? If not, did you have anything else that could have been damaged? Did you have a surge protector and if so, what type? What are your system specs?

Some of this might not seem relevant, but you may be surprised.
m
0
l
!