Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

BFG GeForce 9800 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 7, 2009 4:21:34 PM

Hey, I just purchased a BFG nVidia GeForce 9800 gt 1gb. After I installed it and powered it up, the motherboard makes anywhere from 2-5 clicking noises (Which I assume it's rebooting.) Eventually it will POST but it reverts to the on-board video. I have an MSI K9VGM-V motherboard and an Antec CP-850 power supply.

Anyone have any advice?
August 7, 2009 7:46:34 PM

Cygnus32k said:
Hey, I just purchased a BFG nVidia GeForce 9800 gt 1gb. After I installed it and powered it up, the motherboard makes anywhere from 2-5 clicking noises (Which I assume it's rebooting.) Eventually it will POST but it reverts to the on-board video. I have an MSI K9VGM-V motherboard and an Antec CP-850 power supply.

Anyone have any advice?



Did you disable the onboard video in BIOS? I have this same card and it works without issue. Ironically I bought it after having tons of problems with a Radeon 4770.
August 7, 2009 8:02:47 PM

Yeah, I made sure to disable the on-board video.

On an off note, I was having tons of problems with ATI cards- I switched to nvidia because most of my friends use their cards and have had little to no trouble. I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard soon anyway, I want to eventually upgrade the ram from 2gb (But that's a discussion for another area.)

EDIT: I returned the first video card I got, just to make sure I just didn't get a bad card- New card does the same thing. I'm starting to think it's a motherboard issue.
Related resources
August 8, 2009 12:54:27 AM

Cygnus32k said:
Yeah, I made sure to disable the on-board video.

On an off note, I was having tons of problems with ATI cards- I switched to nvidia because most of my friends use their cards and have had little to no trouble. I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard soon anyway, I want to eventually upgrade the ram from 2gb (But that's a discussion for another area.)

EDIT: I returned the first video card I got, just to make sure I just didn't get a bad card- New card does the same thing. I'm starting to think it's a motherboard issue.


It is probably your motherboard. If you get a new one get one without on board video, but I probably don't need to tell you that.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 10:06:54 PM

I have the exact same problem with a GeForce 8400 and the MSI K9VGM. You cannot disable the onboard video on that mainboard. If it fails to detect a display adapter, it will revert to the onboard no matter what.

On other forums I have read that the VIA chipset used on that board doesn't conform precisely to the PCI 1.0 standard.

So what kind of display adapter can I buy?

rs
October 2, 2010 10:10:38 PM

Cygnus32k said:
Hey, I just purchased a BFG nVidia GeForce 9800 gt 1gb. After I installed it and powered it up, the motherboard makes anywhere from 2-5 clicking noises (Which I assume it's rebooting.) Eventually it will POST but it reverts to the on-board video. I have an MSI K9VGM-V motherboard and an Antec CP-850 power supply.

Anyone have any advice?

Wait I thought BFG didn't exist anymore...
October 2, 2010 10:16:07 PM

Quote:
still does just not in the graphics card game anymore.
they still offer limited support too.

I only see one BFG on newegg still.. and its a cheap PSU.
October 2, 2010 10:17:59 PM

Quote:
try a different card if possible.
you need to rule out if it's the motherboard or the card.
so try another card in that board and/or try that card in another computer.
then report results.

This thread is from last year....


I'm not sure how it got to the first page.
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 10:35:35 PM

Randomacts said:
This thread is from last year....


I'm not sure how it got to the first page.

I'm guessing it's because someone bumped it.
!