Motherboard testing on Arrival.

gamrWraith001

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I have ordered my p6x58d premium today and I am not going to have enough stuff to make an actual build until 3 months. I only have a motherboard, case, hard drive. I won't get my processor for another 2 months because of financial reasons. Is there any way to test to see that i don't have a faulty mobo? there is always a chance to get a DOA mobo and this will drive me nuts if i find out my mobo is doa when i complete my build because the return period is 30 days.

Is there a way or am i stuck with praying?

Not unless you can borrow components ... plus by then there will be new MoBos out which will be better and / or cheaper. I'd suggest you send back , get a piggy bank and save until you have all the money for a full system.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I have done the same thing. I always buy a cheap cpu, for the new mobo, and use it for the exact reason you may lose doa warranty.
After several weeks, and even the months you have to wait, the new board is done burping liking a baby to being new, and then the new bigger expensive cpu has less risk..and then, get a cheap mobo for the other cheap cpu, etc etc, the cycle never ends every new generation...it simply works.
you can do this for memory too. Hard drives are tough, go for good stuff first shot, like the psu, and cables, no excuse for cheap there.

this is what bulders have to do...

To successfully complete a POST, the bare minimum you need is a compatible CPU, one piece of compatible memory, a PSU, and a video card, and the system speaker.

Preliminary testing - motherboard, CPU, PSU, and of course the system speaker. With nothing else installed, you will get BIOS beep patterns (generally a series of long beeps) indicating memory failure. Silence will indicate tha either the PSU, motherboard or CPU is bad.

Yo cannot execute the BIOS POST code without a CPU.

gamrWraith001

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Im gonna take this first advice. I plan on retunring the mobo and save until i can buy both the cpu and mobo at the same time after i got everything else. I already have great working memory courtesey of a friend.