OCZ Vertex 3 on the way

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hey Guys and Gals, just got to get one of the new SATA III 6.0 SSD from OCZ that is supposed to be the fastest thing out there. My mobo should support it fine being an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3.0 SATA 6.0, but I have no idea what the controllers will interact like? I believe the SSD has the new SandForce, but have yet to find out what my mobo uses and how to find out that bit of info. I know the SSD comes with native GC/trim and I know to set my SATA port to AHCI for it, but other than that , I am clueless. Any advice one how to get the most out of the new technology and how to keep it running super fast? I can't wait for 550Gb per second transfer rates on OS. And the 60,000 IOPS on 4k random should be like something I have never seen. Any one got one of these up and running already and have some advice? I am pairing it with a Toshiba 2Tb Sata III 6.0 7200 rpm HDD for most everything except the OS and a few games that I want on the new SSD. I do a lot of video editing and convert to BD for future use instead of clogging up my HDD. Do not expect anything new as far as speed on that side. So let me hear it. What have I gotten myself into? :bounce:

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
put the V3 on the first AMD 6G port and do all the typical OS tweaks for an SSD and install all the MB drivers(particularly the AMD sata drivers). Then just run a couple of benchmarks to keep aside for later comparisons and stop testing it. Then just enjoy it.

You should be aware that these drives use compression and writing too much incompressible data to the SSD at one sitting can still cause throttling from the firmware. Be sure to idle the machine after heavier than usual write sessions like that(using that type of incompressible data) to enable garbage collection to keep the drive cleaned up enough for the next write session to be written without penalty.

With those data streams it may also be wise to allow some extra unallocated space(OP) to help stamina and recovery. Do not store data on the drive and move the finished products to the HDD to keep the drive below 75% or so.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Will Windows 7 automatically partition some of it off for the OS or should I even do that. All I am putting on there are the OS and a few games. I really don't even think Office should be on there as it seems fast enough on my 6.0 Toshiba 2Tb. Just to clarify, unplug all drives and plug the new one in. At boot, change Bios to AHCi then install OS. I know to turn off all the restores and cashing stuff on it and change the user file to data drive from a guide on Tom's. But I have one 3.0 WD 500Gb, so I can not turn the SATA in BIOS to 6.0 for all. Should I leave it to auto and it will know? Or bite another chunk off and get another 6.0 HDD and have every HD 6.0 and set BIOS to all 6.0? Maybe set up RAID 0 for 2 Toshiba 6.0 2 Tb? That might speed data along. The WD 500 is backup only anyway. Also, do I let the important Windows Updates go through, or will they just keep making the drive smaller and smaller? This little under $750 machine is creaping up on $1500. For that price I should have gotten the Intel, I think. But that would have put it over $2000. But my Phenom II 965 C3 hums right along a little over 4 Gz without a hiccup, and my dual HD 5770 Sapphires give my HDTV a great gaming platform. So I will live with what I got except maybe the other HDD.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I was looking on Newegg and thought about getting 2 1Tb WD 6.0's for RAID 0 and using my Toshiba 2Tb 6.0 for backup. That would make it all 6.0 and just delegate the 500Gb 3.0 to my media server. That would give me better overall performance out of the platter drives that way, right?

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
AMD's SB850 is no slouch with these drives and comes very near a top line Intel 6G. Not sure about your settings there and you'd need to check the mobo's manual to be sure, though I imagine it would detect correctly with the auto setting.

TBH, I think the sata 6G HDD's are really a scam since only burst speeds go up in benchmarks. I'd say if you already have one good sata 3G just go the easy route and buy another twin for raid as that always saves time in the long run. Just be sure to backup that R0 volume with a large single HDD just in case. In fact, HDD is so cheap I just use R0 volumes to back up my R0 volumes. lol

Here's a screen of a nice AMD system to show you what they can do. YMMV but should be in the same ballpark.

In the Asus technical specifications there is mention of two SATA II (3 Gb/s) cables and two SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables but colors are not specified. I suggest you check your motherboard manual to see if there is any additional information.

There is no such thing as SATA II (3 Gb/s) and SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables. It is an advertising gimmick. The cables themselves are identical. Here is a direct quote from the Serial ATA Organization:

"When the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) began design of the SATA Revision 3.0 specification, the designers wanted to double the interface data rate while enhancing support for multimedia applications − without introducing major changes that could adversely affect cost, increase design complexity, or reduce the quality and performance of the SATA interface. Key to meeting this goal is maintaining backward compatibility with SATA 3Gb/s connectors and cabling."

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
while the design parameters are the same the construction is certainly not. You get what you pay for with any cabling and connectors, shielding, and even stranding/copper quality can be different. If you think the .32 cent cable that come with ultra cheap hardware is the same as higher end sata3 cables then I have some super nice lead coated special sata2 cables I'd be happy to sell anyone interested.

If you think they are all the same simply cut one in half and even run a resistance test to see some clear differences.

I've even seen 30MB/s gains from crappy cables with wider raid arrays(primarily due to cumulative losses across the array due to one weak cable). Can simply toggle speeds up and down by adding/deleting certain weak cables. Most just don't see it or really care, especially with HDD not coming close to taxing them. Much faster sata3 SSD's will bring out the weaknesses for many to see now.

So no, all cables regardless of the nomenclature used are not the same.

groberts101 - I agree. There certainly may be a difference in the quality cables or other products for that matter. There are high quality items and items of questionable quality. That's pretty much a given. We see it all the time in a multitude of products. However, the actual point is there is no such thing as SATA II (3 Gb/s) and SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables. It is an international standard.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Well I checked the manual and it states to use only the black cables for SATA 3. I was looking to purchase more is why I asked but there seems to be a problem in what Newegg and Tiger call SATA 3 cables. Hopefully the 2 I have will be enough for a second SSD down the line. I have one hooked up to my Toshiba 6.0 and will delegate it to a red one. But I have decided to go ahead and get 2 identical 1Tb drives to RAID. Never had a RAID config. so looking for some extra speed when I do. Will use the Toshiba for backup and all will be SATA 3 so I can set BIOS to run all SATA's at that rate. I do not trust the AUTO part. And yes, I have checked out some speeds for the SB850 and think I should get just about all out of new drive. One reason I bought the newest, at the time, speed board for AMD. Now they have the 890. Within 3 months.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
have to quickly apologize Johnny, I reread my quick post and seemed a bit combative there. Wasn't my intention really and was just getting late and I've been round that arguement too many times before while defending the rationale for my premium cable purchase on this particular machine. With 16 drives running off it, the cables weren't cheap, that's for sure.

so yeah, I'd have to agree since you seem to get the idea behind the marketing end. A 1.99 sata3 cable is generally no different then the 1.49 sata2 counterpart. The extra .50 cents is just a marketing ploy.

@pjmoses, yeah it's tough to stay at the cuting edge unless you're willing to upgrade every 6 months. You'll surely have a decent system until Bulldozer or the Intel X79 boards come out. Me?.. I'm banking aside for the X79 with all the extra 6G ports. Iether way we go these days... top line systems are leaps and bounds ahead of systems of just 3 years ago. I can't wait for Vertex 4's already. LOL

Good Luck with it all

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Well my next leap is the 3D HDTV before any more upgrades to my computer system, accept turning my gaming Phenom X3 Gateway into a household server. Going to store a lot of video on it also as it really is my major part of my HDD storage. Going to move it all to the server and just have games and fast apps on this one. I wonder if Bulldozer will fit in an AM3 socket, or is there a new AM3+ for it? That would be an easy upgrade as the 6Gb speed of my board will handle it. Where in the heck do you fit 16 drives in? Both my machines only have 5 total and that is about 4TB.

I just bought a Yahama HDMI 1.4 receiver for the 3D setup and have my computer, PS3, other computer, and Directv runing through it. My Sony HDMI 1.3 only lasted 2 years before it was outdated. Same with TV. But plan on sticking with this computer for at least 3 years as I stated earlier, it started out as an under $750 gaming and video rig and is now almost to $1500. Gotta stop somewhere.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I haven't even gotten any good games yet as I like the gamepad over kb/m setup. I can not hit the keys right with bad thumbs and a finger injury. So I am having to decide on what games use the 360 controller and you do not have to be online to play and enjoy. I tried the online thing with Sony PS3 and hated it as you can never stay on a server if you are a novice, and if you are too good you get booted also. So I am just going for games for single person play. I did get Spiderman, but have yet to receive my controller. I have the PS3 working on Xpadder, but too much lag. So I still have those to figure out. Sorry, I am rambling.

Monoprice Cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022602

A few years ago Monoprice HDMI cables were tested by CNet Laboratories. The HDMI cables were just as good as the more expensive brand name cables. CNet wound up using Monoprice HDMI cables in their test Laboratory. I bought two of their heavy duty quad shielded HDMI cables which solved some sort of interference problem I was having in my apartment. I haven't seen any reviews of their SATA cables but customer reviews are very positive.

A few websites that have reviewed or mentioned their products:
• Cnet
• Gizmodo
• Audioholics
• Engadget
• New York Times
• CNN Money
• GeekBrief.TV
• Maxim Magazine

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
lol. I was being dramatic and there are some cheaper flat ones around if you look enough. The thing is when you start talking shielded and locking?.. the quality usually goes up and the typical flat cables are cheaper OEM/bundled internal styles.

Since all the folks I know so far that have 6G port mobo's have dedicated 6G cabling meant specifically for the 6G port?.. I can only assume that quality control or actual signal strength could potentially be better. Obviously they designated them to the 6G chips for a reason, right?

With the faster 6G SSD's now you'll want the data/power links integrity to never be in question since your pushing at a whole different level than the old sata1 cables ever required pushing all of 40MB/s from an old sata1 HDD. Would be like using 13 year old radio shack 20 gauge/8 filament bookshelf speaker wire on your thou$ands of dollars worth of bi-amped 1300 watt AV setup. lol

You can get them on newegg and all over the net.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007533%20600020234%20600020302&IsNodeId=1&name=SATA%20III&Pagesize=100

http://www.satasite.com/sata-cables-external.htm#sata-i

Just stick with premium shielded/external style round cables that have decent secure locking clips(some crack easily due to super-cheap plastic if you're on/off too many times) and you should be good to go. Apparently some of the Chinese mfgrs have found a way to reduce costs by minimizing their plasticizer costs, eh? LOL

Little known obstacle with some cables is the thickness of the molded ferrule surrounding the connector itself. Can be pretty tight when paired next to one another on some tighter terminated mobo's. I even had to beltsand a couple of flats where the cables met on my other sata/scsi workstation. Just a heads up is all. Good Luck with the build.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
PS. since we're splitting hairs here.. be sure to keep cable lengths to the minimum required not so much from an asthetics standpoint(if you're into the blingy stuff) but simply because with added cable length comes resistance and potential loading/loss.

Is why many interface cables nave maximum length limitations in the first place.