Regent Square

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I recently got a rig. I have 2 drives there 1 ssd and second is hdd. My question may sound stupid but I am a newbie in computers. Question: All the programs which are not very importand I will install on hdd, so where should I install the programs for them to work properly? I used to have a hard drive with the prorams file folder, where i kept all my programs.

Thanks

tecmo34

Administrator
The easiest way to do it is create two folders on the hard drive. Call on of them "Program Files" and the other "Program Files (x86)". When you go to install the program or game, you select Custom install and change 'C' to the letter of your hard drive. It will install the programs there and you'll be good to go. Here is a link to change your USER folder to your hard drive, which is a recommendation, as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

tecmo34

Administrator
Typically, it is recommended to move the USER folder but not necessary. It plays a bigger part on smaller drives, as the USER folder can take up a lot of space with the music, videos and files saved to the drive.

Once you change the USER folder locations, Windows will automatically save the required files to that folder when required. It doesn't play influence any program, except to provide where the files are saved.

Regent Square

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 20, 2011
I am planning to save all my music, movies etc on the hdd. I will create special flder on hdd and will save my stuff there. Is there a any difference between USER folder and regular folder(which you can create)?