System:
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
Intel Core i7 860 2,8GB
Corsair XMS3 4x2GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz CL9
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32MB 7200.11 RPM
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5870
PSU Corsair TX950W
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

After many BSODs freezes hangs and re-sitting of RAM modules i managed to install Windows x64 with remapping=on, SATA=RAID and JMicron=AHCI.
Apart from relatively long booting time into Windows the system ran smooth with all of my 8GB of RAM showing both in POST and Windows.
However, after a scan disk for errors that took over 1,5 hour and completed with no errors the system does not boot into windows with "memory remap feature" enabled.

It only boots with remapping disabled which results in using only 3,22GB of RAM. The same with POST: 8GB=mapping enabled-no boot, 3.22GB=mapping disabled-boots normally.

The only drivers i have installed are ATI's for my VGA and LG Monitor (from cd).

I must note that i currently do NOT have internet therefore have not had any updates either to windows, BIOS or other drivers.
I am still running BIOS ver. 0209 !!!!

I need to enable "memory remap feature" in order to use my 220euro paid RAM !!!

Anybody knows anything?
If you suggest any updates please indicate what versions?
And please advice on what order to have the updates.
eg BIOS first, then windows, then drivers or whatever...

I read in some threads that is advised first to update BIOS and windows and then to install vga driver. If that is the case should i roll back to default VGA driver and uninstall the one from ATI before updating BIOS?

Thanks and take care.

You may be able to order a bios chip from asus for around $15, but many boards have the bios chip soldered on the board, so you can't change them. Your memory is ok; this is a bios issue. For now, disable "memory mapping" until you can update the bios. And if you use a floppy, save the old bios program when prompted in case the new bios causes more problems than the old one.

nistsio

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
OK thanks.

I have a couple of questions though...

Which BIOS version should i choose? The latest or not ?

The only drivers i have installed currently are those for my VGA (HD5870) and Monitor (LG LCD). Should i uninstall them first and then update BIOS or is it irrelevant?

Finally, will i be able to switch to an older BIOS version once i update it ?

PS
There used to be much more response here in Tom's Hardware once... :(

I'd go with the latest bios version. You don't need to uninstall your current drivers. Only way I know to switch back to the older bios is saving it when prompted. This often requires a floppy and dos bios file; the windows flash programs usually don't ask you if you want to save your current bios.