Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hello all,

I'm building a new system for myself with the following components:

Intel Core i5 processor (quad core)
4 GB Corsair 1333/DDR3 RAM
Seagate 250 MB hard drive
Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 graphics card
Asus P7P55D motherboard (standard, not pro)
(Small hamster on a wheel providing backup power)

What size PSU should I get? Any tips on modular vs. modular are welcome too.

Thanks.

Solution
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high...
You can run the numbers here:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Include case fans, optical drives, connected USB / firewire, anything esle on the list

Use 85% TDP, 90 % CPU load and 25% capacitor aging.

After ya done, multiply by a headroom factor between 1.1 and 1.5 ..... go towards higher end of that range the more ya want .... multiple cards, OC'ing, how stable you want your voltages, how efficient you want PSU to run, how long you want everything to last.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

The difference between modular and non-modular power supplies is insignificant for the typical user. Instead, it is a matter of personal preference.

If you do not plan on using two video cards, then the Corsair VX550 is a very good buy right now at newegg.com. Between the sale price, free shipping, and a mail-in rebate, the final price is $59.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

It is a bit more power than you need for a system with a 4670 video card but you would be prepared for any single videoo card upgrade for the next 5 years.

Solution