Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm following the guide in the sticky, and I had some questions about all this disabling and enabling certain features. I researched a few of them and some of the settings I might want to keep unless I can't hit a certain clock with them. I was hoping I could get some help OC'ing while catering to my preferences.

I want to OC as high as possible while keeping the lowest voltages possible. Also I would like to have turbo boost enabled so I can idle at 1.6GHz when browsing and whatnot. I have the AsRock p67 extreme4 mobo. Thanks in advance.

Basically I'm wondering why one overclocking guide has certain settings disabled and another guide has settings enabled. In the guides it just says Do this... and doesn't say why.

Right now I have spread spectrum and c1e support disabled and Internal PLL overvolt enabled, with a multiplier of 45. But in CPUID my CPU is only reaching 3.9GHz, why would this be?

I have used the BIOS Preset for 4.8GHz before and that worked fine, so I know my CPU can reach at LEAST that high of a multiplier.

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm curious to know, every time I post a thread I never get a reply, is it because my goal isn't clear to read or is it because I'm bouncing around and theres no clear question? If so I apologize as I have many ideas and concerns when I'm typing but I can't put it in quite a way that I would like.

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I guess I forgot to mention that the preset of 4.8GHz turbo has too high of a voltage setting. If I remember right its like 1.4 something, as someone has stated before, AsRock seems to be aggressive in their Overclocking presets.

My question comes down to this. Why are there some settings enable in some OC guides, and in others these same settings are disabled? Is it randomly turning on and off things until they reach their goal multiplier? I just want to know the reasons of turning on and off some settings and what they do to the clock.

If I could quote 2 guides from this forum I'd show you what I'm talking about

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
See I'm getting mixed answers, some people are saying it is like a Speed Step feature that puts CPU at real low volt and clock and allows it to sleep

"Without the C states your PC won't sleep properly, they have to do with low-power hardware states.

A good solid OC (when it's finished) should be able to enable EIST/CnQ, and sleep/unsleep with all the C states enabled.

CnQ should absolutely be enabled when your OC is finished, to give your CPU a longer lifespan and decrease your idle temps. C states are more of a convenience, if you like to sleep your PC instead of power it on/off."

Status
Not open for further replies.