Sign in with
Your question

Integrated/No Graphics I5

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2009 4:31:57 AM

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the integrated graphics coming in on the I5s. Would it just be better to get the I5-7xx series and avoid integrated graphics as I can get a more powerful CPU for the same amount of money.

I know this will come down to what I need so... I just want to be able to watch movies and run a decent graphics OS (win7 or compiz/KDE4), depending on how much I have to invest maybe play starcraft 2, maybe supreme commander 2... im definitly no super user or gamer. One big thing though is that I'm a silent computer enthusiast so I want to attempt to keep my power output at 200-350W.
I have a PSU and a P182 case, and could spend say ~500$ on a GPU,CPU MOBO, ram... money isnt a big deal.
I would also like to have system longevity, I've been running this computer since 2004 and its still snappy with XP, compiz, and 720p videos and that makes me happy.

Would it be best to get the integrated graphics and just upgrade the whole CPU after a few years or get discrete graphics and update separately when/if i need to.

I'm pretty decent with all the technical stuff (I design FPGA components) but I have no feel for what power I need to play SupCom2 for instance, and handle the next few years of OSs (if i ever switch from XP/PCLINUXOS :p ).

I would be building this after Christmas and the time is flexible if it makes a difference.
Thanks a tonne!

More about : integrated graphics

a c 215 à CPUs
October 17, 2009 4:49:43 AM

You can get a low power discrete card now, like an HD 4770, which will be able to give you good performance in SC2 and play HD video fine. IGPs are very weak relative to discrete cards, intel IGPs are incredibly weak. The p55 is quite good as it is, an IGP will just use up the integrated PCI-E lanes and restrict the level of GPU you can add in the future, so i would definitely go for an i5 750, P55 board, and something like a 4670 or 4770.
October 17, 2009 3:43:24 PM

Even the I5-6xx series IGP are weak? or current IGP are weak?

Also if I were to go with the Core i5-750 would there be possible upgradibility in the future? Your opinion
Related resources
October 17, 2009 4:30:23 PM

You're going to get multiple replies here about the death of the 1156 socket, but I'm pretty sure it will fit your needs. I'll just say it now another option is the AMD PII 955, which competes with the I5 750.

That said, I think you will be better of (especially with SC2, I'm waiting for as well :)  :)  ), with the I5 750 and a discrete card. Did you see the intense graphics of that game?!?!? Well, not THAT intense, but here are some articles you may want to read up on:

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/articles/comments/starcr...

Generally, Linux runs better with an Nvidia card, but that has swiftly changed in the past couple of months. I run Ubuntu 9.04 on my system listed in my sig and it works flawlessly.
October 17, 2009 6:26:59 PM

Quote:
You're going to get multiple replies here about the death of the 1156 socket, but I'm pretty sure it will fit your needs. I'll just say it now another option is the AMD PII 955, which competes with the I5 750.

Death of the socket?.. I saw something about how it has manufacturing issues right now. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Linux runs better with an Nvidia card

Historically ATI drivers in linux were horrible, but they are arguably on par now and will most likely surpass Nvidia drivers in terms of linux compatibility
October 17, 2009 11:06:37 PM

chico1st said:
Quote:

Death of the socket?.. I saw something about how it has manufacturing issues right now. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Linux runs better with an Nvidia card

Historically ATI drivers in linux were horrible, but they are arguably on par now and will most likely surpass Nvidia drivers in terms of linux compatibility

Death of the socket... yes. There have been words going around that it is dead end, defective, etc. While most of it is fanboyism at best, it is a pretty legit concern when purchasing 1156.

As for the ATI Linux drivers, let's hope you're right!
!