Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help Overclocking The E7400

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 17, 2009 4:37:26 AM

Hi,

I just got the E7400 with the Asus P5QL. I did ask before, and a few people did come forward and offer help regarding this, before I purchased it.

I'm a complete noob to OC'ing, but if I start Team Viewer and show me once, I will always remember it. Please don't "tell" me how to do it, otherwise I'm nothing going to bother. I would need someone to show me first.

Thanks!

More about : overclocking e7400

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 17, 2009 3:53:45 PM

godbrother said:
Hi,
Please don't "tell" me how to do it, otherwise I'm nothing going to bother.

That is why over 25 people looked at your thread and did not bother to reply.
Related resources
October 17, 2009 11:39:42 PM

jsc said:
That is why over 25 people looked at your thread and did not bother to reply.


Becuase everytime I ask, everytime someone else comes along and gives a god damn different awnser or a different way to do it. That's why I'm not going to bother via peoples quik one hit posts. I'm just not going to risk or do somthing terribly wrong becuase someone said so. I need a pro to show me how useing a team viewer. Is that to hard to ask?

I guess the only reason I never got a reply is becuase people don't really know how. I don't know. If they did, it should be as easy as 1..2..3 right? So whats the problem here?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2009 12:43:55 AM

OK copper top hit the del key when you first power on the box and then nav your way to the fsb/ system clocks section after going into chipset features. Once you find it the defualt fsb is 266 set it to 275 and start from there. Ram 1/1 will be at 533 or underclocked from 667 but will have head room any way up to at least 300mhz before any issues show up.
October 18, 2009 12:54:30 AM

Wow, GodBrother you are one hell of an asshole you know that? First you ask for help, but DEMAND that you get free help just the way you want it and then insult other forum members?

I've had my E4300 overclocked to 3 gigahertz since I got it, but there is no way I am going to take my time and dedicate it to helping you when you are this arrogant.

Lol try going into a computer store and demanding free help just the way you want it, they will tell you the door is behind you. Even worse, you come to a hobbyist board and do the same? Had this been my forum, you'd already be banned.
October 18, 2009 7:14:35 AM

scryer_360 said:
Wow, GodBrother you are one hell of an asshole you know that? First you ask for help, but DEMAND that you get free help just the way you want it and then insult other forum members?

I've had my E4300 overclocked to 3 gigahertz since I got it, but there is no way I am going to take my time and dedicate it to helping you when you are this arrogant.

Lol try going into a computer store and demanding free help just the way you want it, they will tell you the door is behind you. Even worse, you come to a hobbyist board and do the same? Had this been my forum, you'd already be banned.


Wow. That was the biggest insult on this board I've recived so far... Well, from a youngster that is. First off, I never "demanded" anything and I never said I wanted it for free (where in my post does it say that. - Plus, what did you expect? A donation into Paypal or somthing?)

If you was not going to help, why did you post a long and really boaring post about you not going to help then add more infomation to it by "laughing out load." I'm trying to be serious here, lucky I never had it done by you.

And again with the "demanding" word. Just becuase I underlined a word to make it clear, it dosn't mean I'm demanding. It's a simple gesture to let people know not to tell me via the forum. That simple. I wasn't trying to be rude to anybody you twit. I've done my best to help everyone else to my best on the forum, don't come along and through gasoline on fire trying twist things up.

Do you know how many times I got dumb half replies most of the time? How many times I've actaully asked this question? And how many times I was told NOT to do it some other guys way, and to do it his way? And then have him rav on about crap that I have not a clue about?

You know, it would have been funny if you had owned this site. Becuase everyone would have been banned by now.

Meh.
October 18, 2009 7:20:08 AM

nforce4max said:
OK copper top hit the del key when you first power on the box and then nav your way to the fsb/ system clocks section after going into chipset features. Once you find it the defualt fsb is 266 set it to 275 and start from there. Ram 1/1 will be at 533 or underclocked from 667 but will have head room any way up to at least 300mhz before any issues show up.


Hey,

So the first thing I do is head for the FSB?... No need to tamper with volts etc? Becuase others say to ajust volts first etc etc. And you completly lost me from where you said somthing regarding the RAM. Does this also need to be overclocked?

(Taking this post as an example, would an actuall noob to OC'ing ACTUALLY understand a word that was said in the post? - This is a reply to the twit above, no disrespect intended to you baby - You know I love you <3 :) )
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2009 1:17:45 PM

godbrother said:
Hey,

So the first thing I do is head for the FSB?... No need to tamper with volts etc? Becuase others say to ajust volts first etc etc. And you completly lost me from where you said somthing regarding the RAM. Does this also need to be overclocked?

(Taking this post as an example, would an actuall noob to OC'ing ACTUALLY understand a word that was said in the post? - This is a reply to the twit above, no disrespect intended to you baby - You know I love you <3 :) )


The reason why I mention ram is because the two are usually clocked at the same base clock before any thing is really counted as FSB clock or DDR clock and so on.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 18, 2009 3:03:15 PM

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

This should be your second stop. You need to know something about thermal management or you can fry your CPU. It's actually kind of difficult to fry a modern CPU, but it is possible.
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Third stop will be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

You should be able to easily hit 3.0 GHz. For anything higher, you will need better cooling. Here are two under $50 heatsinks that are pretty popular:
Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They both require a somewhat different approach to applying thermal compound.
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

And they are pretty large, so they might not fit inside your case.

Go through the first two threads. Do not do anything until you have a good idea about what you are trying to do. Once you have definite questions (you will, you will :) ), come back and ask.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
October 19, 2009 3:00:40 AM

godbrother said:
Wow. That was the biggest insult on this board I've recived so far... Well, from a youngster that is. First off, I never "demanded" anything and I never said I wanted it for free (where in my post does it say that. - Plus, what did you expect? A donation into Paypal or somthing?)

If you was not going to help, why did you post a long and really boaring post about you not going to help then add more infomation to it by "laughing out load." I'm trying to be serious here, lucky I never had it done by you.

And again with the "demanding" word. Just becuase I underlined a word to make it clear, it dosn't mean I'm demanding. It's a simple gesture to let people know not to tell me via the forum. That simple. I wasn't trying to be rude to anybody you twit. I've done my best to help everyone else to my best on the forum, don't come along and through gasoline on fire trying twist things up.

Do you know how many times I got dumb half replies most of the time? How many times I've actaully asked this question? And how many times I was told NOT to do it some other guys way, and to do it his way? And then have him rav on about crap that I have not a clue about?

You know, it would have been funny if you had owned this site. Becuase everyone would have been banned by now.

Meh.


Lol. There are all sorts of good guides and threads on this forum on how to overclock. Hell Toms even has it as a front page.

No I wouldn't ban everyone, just you. Just assholes who come in demanding things.You can try and play it off all you want but you insulted this forum with your comments, and you definitely do not contribute with your attitude.

Had you tried doing this in the forums about cooling, Conundrum would have had you. Grow up and read something, punk.
October 19, 2009 3:03:53 AM

Oh and one more thing:

"If you was not...."

The grammar nazi in me wonders if your claims about age have any merit.

But I feel sorry for you, so I went ahead and made you a guide!
http://tinyurl.com/yhy6qmv
October 19, 2009 11:02:43 AM

jsc said:
This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

This should be your second stop. You need to know something about thermal management or you can fry your CPU. It's actually kind of difficult to fry a modern CPU, but it is possible.
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Third stop will be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

You should be able to easily hit 3.0 GHz. For anything higher, you will need better cooling. Here are two under $50 heatsinks that are pretty popular:
Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They both require a somewhat different approach to applying thermal compound.
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

And they are pretty large, so they might not fit inside your case.

Go through the first two threads. Do not do anything until you have a good idea about what you are trying to do. Once you have definite questions (you will, you will :) ), come back and ask.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.


Thanks jsc, Will do. I'll go through it and give it a try. But the newegg items won't work for me, I don't live in the states. (you guys are so lucky btw.) But I will search for them on alternate sites that ship here.

Regarding passing the 3.0 Mark. The chip runs on 45nm, would that still need a 3rd party heatsink?

Thanks.
!