Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

SPDIF connection on GTS 250

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 7, 2009 10:45:47 PM

Hi, I have a ECS GTS 250 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and I recently purchased an HDTV that I'd like to hook up my computer to. The easiest way would be with a DVI-HDMI converter which was included with the card to the HDMI port in the TV. My problem is with hooking up the sound to the video card. It came with the cable to do it, and the side that connects to the card is pretty obvious, but the other side is just 2 single pin connectors and I'm not sure exactly where they should go. Im trying to connect it to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). Thanks for the help.
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 8, 2009 4:24:29 PM

Read the manual and look for the SPDIF connector on your Fatality.
Score
0
August 8, 2009 4:26:24 PM

You can't get audio out of a DVI->HDMI cable/converter. There are no audio pins on a DVI connector. At least as far as I know there aren't. I'm not sure why a video card with out an HDMI port would even have a digital audio connector.

Your best bet is to use a separate cable to carry the audio from your sound blaster to you receiver.
Score
0
Related resources
August 8, 2009 4:30:58 PM

Wow, apparently some video card manufactures have changed the DVI standard port to work with their DVI->HDMI converters so that you can get sound.

Which begs the question, Why not just put the damn HDMI connector on the board?
Score
0
August 9, 2009 1:52:26 AM

The manual from the video card is in no way helpful, since for the last step it says "If user adopts the HDMI application, pls make sure your SPIDF cable connect to the VGA card & MB properly." It also shows a picture of where the cable goes on the video card, as if it wasn't obvious enough. The only mention of the internal pins on the sound card's manual is for a 10 pin front panel Intel HD sound connection. However there is a whole other set of pins located on the back of the card which as far as I know are not mentioned in the manual.

I wouldn't have a problem just running a cable from the sound card directly to the TV for the sound, but I'm under the impression that since it connects via HDMI the TV will be looking for sound from that connection and not recognize a secondary source.
Score
0
August 9, 2009 2:26:37 AM

JasonAkkerman said:
You can't get audio out of a DVI->HDMI cable/converter. There are no audio pins on a DVI connector. At least as far as I know there aren't. I'm not sure why a video card with out an HDMI port would even have a digital audio connector.

Your best bet is to use a separate cable to carry the audio from your sound blaster to you receiver.


What are you on about?

DVI can't hold audio!

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2009 3:10:38 AM

Go to creative web pages. There is an SPDIF connector on the XIFI Card. You can connect the SPDIF from XFI to your video card. The diagram you need to dig out on the creative web page. Some how i lost the pdf file. You will find it...

On the control panel audio option select SPEAKERS (creative SB_XFI)
On the creative consul launcher , Encouder Settings, Select Dolby Digital. Click Settings and Select SPDIF.

I have done this on my BFG GTX 280 and XFI cards and get the sound to come out on the HDMI.

BFG send me an DVI-HDMI converter, SPDIF cable, and HDMI cable. This is the same case as you indicated on your video card. You should get a sound from XFI to your Video card.
Score
0
August 9, 2009 5:40:29 AM

leon2006 said:
Go to creative web pages. There is an SPDIF connector on the XIFI Card. You can connect the SPDIF from XFI to your video card. The diagram you need to dig out on the creative web page. Some how i lost the pdf file. You will find it...

On the control panel audio option select SPEAKERS (creative SB_XFI)
On the creative consul launcher , Encouder Settings, Select Dolby Digital. Click Settings and Select SPDIF.

I have done this on my BFG GTX 280 and XFI cards and get the sound to come out on the HDMI.

BFG send me an DVI-HDMI converter, SPDIF cable, and HDMI cable. This is the same case as you indicated on your video card. You should get a sound from XFI to your Video card.

+1 that is correct. As long as you connect the 2 pin spdif connector to the sound card and the video card the dvi to hdmi adapter will carry an audio signal.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 9:42:41 PM


Turns out its really easy to do. If you look at the end of the supplied cable that came with the video card it says SPDIF and GND. Look on either your sound card or your mother board and you will find the SPIDF connector if one is supplied. You only need the SPDIF pin and a ground. check your mother board or sound card manual.

Jess

PNY GTS 250
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
AMD phenom ii x4 965
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 9:45:35 PM

amdfangirl said:
What are you on about?

DVI can't hold audio!


Yes ya can.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 9:36:27 PM

I am also having a very similar issue its not the board for me it is the cable its self it does not have the gnd and the spdif markings on the connector just an arrow over one of the wires i was wondering if anyone know if the arrow means ground or + which would be the spdif. thx
Score
0
April 27, 2010 10:54:29 PM

pyro006 said:
The manual from the video card is in no way helpful, since for the last step it says "If user adopts the HDMI application, pls make sure your SPIDF cable connect to the VGA card & MB properly." It also shows a picture of where the cable goes on the video card, as if it wasn't obvious enough. The only mention of the internal pins on the sound card's manual is for a 10 pin front panel Intel HD sound connection. However there is a whole other set of pins located on the back of the card which as far as I know are not mentioned in the manual.

I wouldn't have a problem just running a cable from the sound card directly to the TV for the sound, but I'm under the impression that since it connects via HDMI the TV will be looking for sound from that connection and not recognize a secondary source.


actualy its simple just look up the pinout for the sound card and u hook one wire to signal and the other to ground the rest are pins that wont be used by the video card
Score
0
July 19, 2010 5:34:48 PM

JasonAkkerman said:
Wow, apparently some video card manufactures have changed the DVI standard port to work with their DVI->HDMI converters so that you can get sound.

Which begs the question, Why not just put the damn HDMI connector on the board?


Just saw your reply and yes I know this is way late... T/W EVGA for similar needs and was told that as long as both the audio and video cards accept the two pin audio loop cable, digital sound will carry a digital audio out of the DVI port using a DVI > HDMI adapter to , as with my Geforce GTS 250 W/dual DVI Ports.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 19, 2010 6:25:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!