Esata ports

Hello! I'm a bit of a novice at working on computers so bear with my naivete. I just recently installed a pci bracket with 2 esata outputs. I connected it to the sata input on the motherboard. my plan is to use these esata outputs as an alternative to usb for moving files to external hdds. They have not showed up in the hardware and devices,and when I plugged in the hdd, it didnt show up. Looking in my bios, the computer recognized the drives in raid configuration. I only have one 750g hdd in the pc so I thought this was strange. Is there anything I can do/change anywhere in the system(bios,windows, etc.) for the ports to act like plug ins like usb and firewire? My system is an HPm8430f. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about esata ports
  1. Did you get any driver software with the PCI-bracket?
    A link to the part you bought might be useful.
  2. You'll probably have to go into the BIOS and change the settings for those SATA ports to enable ESATA mode - the technology is usually standard, but you have to enable it to use it. Also you won't get Device Manager showing new ports - all you've done is really extend the SATA connectors so nothing will show until you plug a device into those ports.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components