Building gaming rig in stages

unoeye

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Hello, I am looking to build a new mid-range gaming system in stages(impossible for me to save money).

I have not built a rig in a while but i have always leaned towards AMD for gaming. I want the best possible setup for the best gaming experience be it AMD or Intel.

Like I said i would like to do it in stages and i am well aware that some items might go down in price by the time i get everything. I would like some ideas on what order i should buy the parts to minimize me fornicating myself.

The monitor i plan on buying is gonna be some form of Benq @ 1900x1080(is this suitible for PC gaming?) I would be using the monitor for PS3/360 and watching anime also.

I have been looking at this cpu Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 it looks pretty good. I dont know if there is a AMD that is better suited for gaming or not thats why i am asking for help.

I will be spending Roughly $1000 in the span of a month on the rig not including the monitor.

Is it worth it for me to look to invest a sli setup or crossfire? I would rather just get one good video card.

I think thats all i can think of for time being being, any info would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

Uno.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Consider checking out an AMD phenom 2 setup. Socket 775 is going to be a dead end road. SLI/Crossfire can be good, but a single card I think usually has less issues, and you don't need as powerful of a PSU or worry about an sli/crossfire mobo which should both save you money.

Bad idea... really bad idea...

I did that in the pass and you will end out waiting for parts. If you buy some stuff now, you will probably buy stuff later to complete your rig... but when you will buy your last components, the price of the components you already bought will be lower.

All in all, you will pay more for having the same computer completed at the same time. In the computer world, prices are always falling. So, in fact, it's never a bad thing to wait when you are READY to buy everything AT THE SAME TIME.

Hehe... I got that... really good mobo/cpu and you could be able to unlock the 4th core like me.

Phenom II X3 720 BE (4th core unleashed and underclock at 1.176V)
OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler
OCZ OCZ3P16004GK DDR3 @ 1333 (for now)
Asus M4A78T-E
Asus 4850 TOP in crossfire (OC @ 675 MHz)
OCZ ModXstream 700 W (efficiency of >85% for my system)
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Sony BDUX10S Blu-Ray
HT Omega Striker
2XWestern Digital Caviar Green 1TB 10EADS
320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9

unoeye

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Your probly right, I think im just gonna start off buying the case, PSU and fans to start out with and then look for a good combo deal when. I think i might just shell out the Extra money and get I7 and over clock it, It will come out to be about $150 more.

Im looking to get a board in a x58 chipset i think i am gonna atleast plan to run 2 cards either xfire or sli i dunno which yet though.

Can someone recomend me I7 mobo and mem setup that would be the best for overclocking.

Also, I need some recomendations on a decent Mid size case and PSU suitible to run 2 cards in the near future.

Thanks again.

Uno

unoeye

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for the info after a bit of looking and reading i think i am gonna go with this case.
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119160

And for the CPU cooler i will go with this guy but might change it, i like the price :D
Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835185093

For PSU this although i dont know the diff. between modular and non modular.

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139009

All of this comes to a total of $300.97, wasnt even planning it but it came in at my projected budget which makes me very happy. :D

What do you think?