Sign in with
Your question

SAS Hard Drives w/ PCIe Cards, Single Port, Dual Port...

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2011 1:09:46 AM

The drive in question is the Cheetah 15k.7.

The card in question is the LSI Logic 9211-4i with this cable.

For workstation purposes, what I would like to do is connect the Cheetah and a Crucial C300 SSD to this card. After searching for a few hours, I'm not sure if it will work. My questions are:

In the description of the breakout cable, it says the cable is not for use with dual-port SAS drives. After searching Google, I found that the Cheetah has "integrated dual ports." However, everywhere I've seen pictures of the Cheetah, I've only seen 1 port. Admittedly, other than the performance benefits, my knowledge of SAS is pretty limited. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Again, my intention is to attach a Cheetah and a Crucial C300 SSD to this card. I'm obviously not putting them in RAID; I just don't have SAS or SATA600 ports on my motherboard. I do have an available PCIe x8 slot though. Will this card/cable do what I want?

Thanks in advance!
April 18, 2011 8:14:29 PM

Nevermind. I did some more reading and found that SATA is compatible with SAS (but SAS is not compatible with SATA).

I'm still not sure about the dual SAS / integrated port thing, but the LSI 9212-4I has plenty of ports on it with no need for breakout cables like in the card I mentioned in my last post. So, problem solved!

And in case anyone is wondering why the 15k.7 + the C300... it's because I'm maximizing longevity by using the C300 for reading only. It will be my virtual instrument samples drive. SSDs are quick but in the long run they're just not reliable enough. So I have the C300 for samples and the Cheetah 15k.7 for my audio / video drive.
m
l
Related resources
!