View desktop on TV?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 5:33:54 PM

Was playing around with a new laptop the other day (IBM Thinkpad R50),
and seeing as it has s-video out I thought I'd try rig it up to the TV.
The only result I could get was a typical extended desktop (main
desktop on laptop screen, with the extra "space" of the TV screen
available to drag/move into). I can never just activate the TV display
on it's own.

What I was after was to get the same output as I see on the laptop
screen on the TV, in the sort of way you'd see when attaching to a
projector for a presentation or something. Is this possible using the
s-video out? I can't say for 100% sure but I think I've seen it work
with s-video out from a desktop system, but its possible that then there
was no monitor attached so there was no choice.

Running WinXP Pro, 32mb Radeon Mobility 7500.

--
[ste]

More about : view desktop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 5:33:55 PM

[ste parker] <imaginey@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Was playing around with a new laptop the other day (IBM Thinkpad R50),
> and seeing as it has s-video out I thought I'd try rig it up to the
> TV. The only result I could get was a typical extended desktop
> (main desktop on laptop screen, with the extra "space" of the TV
> screen available to drag/move into). I can never just activate the
> TV display on it's own.

Go into display properties and uncheck the box for the external display that
says "Extend the desktop to this display".

You'll then be able to switch between the internal and external displays
with Fn+F7.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 6:28:38 PM

JHEM said the following on 28/04/2004 14:20:

> [ste parker] <imaginey@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Was playing around with a new laptop the other day (IBM Thinkpad R50),
>>and seeing as it has s-video out I thought I'd try rig it up to the
>> TV. The only result I could get was a typical extended desktop
>>(main desktop on laptop screen, with the extra "space" of the TV
>>screen available to drag/move into). I can never just activate the
>>TV display on it's own.
>

> Go into display properties and uncheck the box for the external display that
> says "Extend the desktop to this display".
>
> You'll then be able to switch between the internal and external displays
> with Fn+F7.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. I actually feel quite foolish now
as I remember playing around with the quite nice presentation/display
stuff that comes up on this machine with fn-f7 (though that was just
initial curiosity then rather than trying to use it). Totally forgot it
was there!

--
[ste]
!