Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade hard drive on dell dimension e310

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2011 4:01:20 AM

Hello, I want to upgrade my dell dimension e310. Right now the C drive has only 51 GB's of space to it. I would like to have at least twice as much. What hard drives will fit in with the computer I have? And where's the cheapest price I can pay for it?
a c 357 G Storage
April 17, 2011 11:07:10 PM

This machine's specs say it has one IDE port (Capable of supporting two devices on a 80-conductor ribbon cable with two HDD connectors) plus two SATA ports (each capable of connecting ONE device). So, which of these is unused? Do you have one unused SATA data port on the mobo? Then get a SATA HDD. You do NOT need to go with the newest SATA 6 Gb/s designs - an older SATA II (more properly, a SATA 3 Gb/s) drive will do just fine, but either is OK as long as the prices are similar. If you buy a SATA drive, do NOT worry about going over the old "137 GB limit" because ALL SATA devices and controller support disk sizes up to 1 or 2 GB. Basically, all standard "desktop" drives are the same physical size and connection systems, so your choices really are IDE or SATA (SATA is preferred if you have a port for it) and what storage capacity do you want?

You will have to choose whether you will continue to use your old HDD as the boot device and merely add the new HDD as a data storage resource, or instead whether you will clone your old HDD to the new one and stop using the old one. Either route is OK. Many people would suggest switching completely to the new HDD on the basis that an old HDD is bound to have a problem sometime soon and you'd lose you stuff on it. Others would suggest making the clone and swap, then wiping your old HDD clean and re-Partitioning and Formatting it to be your second data-only drive. Or, maybe convert it into an external drive to be used for backups.
m
l
April 25, 2011 5:53:41 AM

Paperdoc said:
This machine's specs say it has one IDE port (Capable of supporting two devices on a 80-conductor ribbon cable with two HDD connectors) plus two SATA ports (each capable of connecting ONE device). So, which of these is unused? Do you have one unused SATA data port on the mobo? Then get a SATA HDD. You do NOT need to go with the newest SATA 6 Gb/s designs - an older SATA II (more properly, a SATA 3 Gb/s) drive will do just fine, but either is OK as long as the prices are similar. If you buy a SATA drive, do NOT worry about going over the old "137 GB limit" because ALL SATA devices and controller support disk sizes up to 1 or 2 GB. Basically, all standard "desktop" drives are the same physical size and connection systems, so your choices really are IDE or SATA (SATA is preferred if you have a port for it) and what storage capacity do you want?

You will have to choose whether you will continue to use your old HDD as the boot device and merely add the new HDD as a data storage resource, or instead whether you will clone your old HDD to the new one and stop using the old one. Either route is OK. Many people would suggest switching completely to the new HDD on the basis that an old HDD is bound to have a problem sometime soon and you'd lose you stuff on it. Others would suggest making the clone and swap, then wiping your old HDD clean and re-Partitioning and Formatting it to be your second data-only drive. Or, maybe convert it into an external drive to be used for backups.

Thanks for the response. My plan is to scrap the old hard disk drive and totally replace it with the new one. Anything I need to keep from the older drive I'll remove with a flash drive and place it on the new drive after I've put it in.
m
l
!