Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

PC fails to start after power out

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 17, 2009 11:40:21 AM

Hello,

I lost the power in my apartment while my PC was on. Once the power was back on, I couldn't get the PC to start when I tried to power it on. I switched off and on the power supply (red switch) and the PC finally booted up after that - but it turned itself off after like a minute of booting up Windows XP. The blue power-on light on the front of my case started blinking and nothing happened when I pushed the power button.

When I tried to turn off and on the power supply, the PC starts to boot for like a second (can hear the fans starting up) and then nothing and blinking blue light.

What is wrong? What can I do?

Thanks
-Skar-

More about : fails start power

a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2009 1:08:19 PM

You can troubleshoot like everyone else. Start with a new power supply, and if you replace the motherboard, do a bare test on a non conductive surface with just the cpu/heatsink, memory, video card (or onboard video) and keyboard. You're testing a new board to see if it works well with your memory before mounting it in the case. That's all. Then you continue with the board installation and connect the rest of the case leads for the power switch, etc. If you don't have the knowledge or time to do this, now's a great time to buy a new pc.
October 17, 2009 2:12:36 PM

o1die said:
You can troubleshoot like everyone else. Start with a new power supply, and if you replace the motherboard, do a bare test on a non conductive surface with just the cpu/heatsink, memory, video card (or onboard video) and keyboard. You're testing a new board to see if it works well with your memory before mounting it in the case. That's all. Then you continue with the board installation and connect the rest of the case leads for the power switch, etc. If you don't have the knowledge or time to do this, now's a great time to buy a new pc.


I don't have the available parts for troubleshooting. But... will a power shortage be enough to fry a component? And if so... shouldn't all PCs have a small battery to prevent that? I'll probably get a new PC if I find out a component is fried, so should I consider some kind of PSU that will survive a power cut?
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 17, 2009 3:45:10 PM

Skar11 said:
But... will a power shortage outage be enough to fry a component?

Not usual, but it can be.
Skar11 said:
And if so... shouldn't all PCs have a small battery to prevent that?

That's not what the battery is for. The small motherboard battery is just for maintaining the system setup when the PC is turned off.
Skar11 said:
..., so should I consider some kind of PSU that will survive a power cut?

A higher quality PSU will withstand more abuse than a lower quality one. But if power failures are common in your area, what you need is a UPS. Google is your friend.