Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Removing heatsink from Quadro 4000

Last response: in Overclocking
August 14, 2011 8:46:09 PM

I assume that everyone here who knows a thing or two about the Nvidia Quadro cards understands that the Quadro 4000 has a temperature compared to the surface of the sun. At stock fan speeds, the gpu hits temperatures of about 80f in a well ventilated chassis. With the help of EVGA's Precision software, I have boosted the fan speed from its auto state to a fixed state of 65 percent. The temperature is around 48c idle, and climbs to about 65-75c full load.

Personally, I dont want to keep my gpu fan revved at such a fixed state only to achieve such standard gpu temperatures. Is it possible for me to safely remove the heatsink from the card to apply a better thermal paste? Is it possible to even swap out the stock gpu fan for a better, higher airflow fan of the same size?

I understand that this has been done to other graphics cards, but because this is a quadro card, I felt it best to state my questions here since I am dealing with a relatively expensive piece of equipment and I would appreciate others weighting in their thoughts on my stated ideas as to whether I should modify it or not.

Caleb

PS. I haven't found anything on anyone modding their Quadro card before, but if anyone has I would love to hear their thoughts.

August 15, 2011 9:00:53 PM

55 views and nada?
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2011 9:47:37 PM

Thanks, but I have already read that entire thread. I have scoured through google looking for anyone who has actually done this and didnt find a lot, which is why I am asking.
m
l
August 23, 2011 8:03:04 AM

I'm about to remove the stock cover of my quadro 4000 and will try to install prolimatech MK-13 heatsink as my temperatures are even higher at full load. Hope this will do the trick. If not, I will add one or two low RPM arctic-cooling fans which are absolutely quiet. they add about 2cm to the absolute height so the card with heatsink and fans will occupy quite a lot of space.
m
l

Best solution

August 25, 2011 9:21:22 AM

just to sum up - after mounting prolimatech-mk13 (no additional fans, just the original quadro fan left on-board) temperatures went down from almost 85 to 44 degrees (dual monitor configuration, idle, room temp at 27c). the only modification I made was to replace prolimatech BGA RAM heatsinks from aluminium to copper for better heat circulation. important notice: 2 out of 8 RAM modules need to be covered with lower heatsinks so they can fit below the radiator heatpipes
August 27, 2011 6:26:08 AM

Best answer selected by gclambert.
m
l
August 27, 2011 6:28:23 AM

Thanks A TON man! This info will really help me out. Ill have to give the mk13 a look. Thanks a lot!

Caleb
m
l
August 28, 2011 10:34:49 AM

gclambert said:
Thanks A TON man! This info will really help me out. Ill have to give the mk13 a look. Thanks a lot!

Caleb

no prob,
should you need any help, just give me a shout or you can simply use this as a reference just as I did:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/10/13/can-pro...

it's more or less similar. here are some steps you might consider:
1. you will need a precision screwdriver (torx T4) for the black "logo" cover
2. after you remove this cover and all the bottom screws you will notice the heatsink is preventing the grey body from coming off, so all you have to do is gently lever it up with some small screwdriver (it's just the old thermal paste that still holds it)
3. once you remove all the parts of the body, including the bottom plate, remove the remains of the old thermal paste from
GPU and RAMs (but not from the backplate). I was using extraction naphtha for that
4. install ram heatsinks (six tall ones, two middle ones just to fit below the heatpipes). for the middle ones I suggest you find the copper equivalent to compensate performance. you can additionally put some heatsinks on top of 3 power regulators next to the fan.
5. that's obvious, but just in case: use the omni-mount backplate on top of quadro backplate (this black one on the bottom, with existing thermal paste for rams)
6. refer to prolimatech user's manual for compatible omni-mount bracket (you get two types, use the ones with single screw holes)
7. watch out for the build-in quadro fan - it's small and silent, but when I first powered it on, it blew some of the ram heatsinks away : )

good luck
m
l
June 12, 2012 7:35:37 AM

I just follow ur advice and get it done by 4 hours. It was my first computer modify work.
the hardest part was took it off the original heatsink from the board. I thought it was impossible to take off but I did it with full
power and had job done. Now my Gpu running on 50C with photoshop, internet explorer, and some stuff.
hope you guys have some advantage with this guide.

screamers said:
no prob,
should you need any help, just give me a shout or you can simply use this as a reference just as I did:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/10/13/can-pro...

it's more or less similar. here are some steps you might consider:
1. you will need a precision screwdriver (torx T4) for the black "logo" cover
2. after you remove this cover and all the bottom screws you will notice the heatsink is preventing the grey body from coming off, so all you have to do is gently lever it up with some small screwdriver (it's just the old thermal paste that still holds it)
3. once you remove all the parts of the body, including the bottom plate, remove the remains of the old thermal paste from
GPU and RAMs (but not from the backplate). I was using extraction naphtha for that
4. install ram heatsinks (six tall ones, two middle ones just to fit below the heatpipes). for the middle ones I suggest you find the copper equivalent to compensate performance. you can additionally put some heatsinks on top of 3 power regulators next to the fan.
5. that's obvious, but just in case: use the omni-mount backplate on top of quadro backplate (this black one on the bottom, with existing thermal paste for rams)
6. refer to prolimatech user's manual for compatible omni-mount bracket (you get two types, use the ones with single screw holes)
7. watch out for the build-in quadro fan - it's small and silent, but when I first powered it on, it blew some of the ram heatsinks away : )

good luck

m
l
!