HELP. BIOS not recognizing ANY hard drives):

thehackerzzzzzzz

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hey im pretty much an amateur at pc hardware and awhile ago my pc displayed this message. Since then I havent really used it. Ive messed around with the sata/power cables a bit to make sure they're connected and im sure they are. The BIOS doesn't even recognize my hard drive :fou: . which is a 750gb barracuda.
I have the SATA cable connected to my hard drive and mobo, but im not sure if its on the mobo in the right place. I also have the legacy power connected. Everything is perfect, i even switched out the hard drive for a cd drive and the bios recognized it. I tried another SATA drive but still nothing. :(
It seems not to recognize hard drives. I have the BIOS set to IDE because I thought RAID might have been the problem because when I started up it said No RAID Array Defined. What should I do? Any help would be appreaciated.

Specs: (just grabbed them from Amazon)

"# Processor: This desktop is powered by AMD's 2.4 GHz Phenom X4 9750 quad-core processor was designed for megatasking--running multiple, multi-threaded applications such as processor-intensive visual design and modeling and serious 3D games as well all your digital multimedia. With an integrated memory controller and shared L3 cache, AMD Phenom X4 9000 Series processors have low-latency access to main memory for amazingly rapid system response and phenomenal system performance. The 9750 has 2 MB of L2 cache in addition to 2 MB of L3 cache and a 2000MT/s system bus.

All AMD Phenom X4 9000 series processors feature AMD64 with Direct Connect Architecture to blast through performance bottlenecks and provide direct access to DDR2 memory. AMD's HyperTransport 3.0 technology now provides support for full 1080p high-definition video. And with the next generation Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 technology reducing heat and noise, the AMD Phenom X4 9000 Series quad-core processor delivers seamless multitasking and optimum energy efficiency.

# Hard Drive: The ginormous 750 GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 RPM) provides more than enough capacity for storing a large audio and video library, as well as extra space required for video editing. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.

This desktop also includes a drive bay that fits an optional HP Pocket Media Drive, which enables you to add up to 160 GB of additional storage. The Pocket Media Drive also works with any USB-enabled PC, for easy transferring of multimedia files from other computers in your home.

# Memory: The 8 GB of installed RAM (PC6400) helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. It also offers a fast 800 MHz speed. This desktop has an amazing 16 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 4 GB) when used with a 64-bit operating system (4 GB when used with a 32-bit OS). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.

# DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 12x DVD±R DL Write Once, 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 40x CD-R, 32x CD-RW write speeds and 40x CD-ROM, and 16x DVD-ROM read speeds.

This LightScribe DVD±RW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art."

tecmo34

Administrator
What was the message? I can't seem to see it in the thread :(

What is your motherboard and SATA slots is the hard drive connected?

Was it set to RAID prior to the issue? Have you tried setting it back to RAID?

What was the last thing you did before you got the message (anything stand out that was different from previous usage)?

thehackerzzzzzzz

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Sorry the message was "disk boot failure insert system disk"

AMD 780G is the default mobo in the HP m9500f i believe.
I have tried literally every SATA slot to no avail.

It was set to RAID, and I have tried every setting (IDE, RAID, AHCI)

Nothing stood out. It happened after a lightning storm I believe, although not directly after.

thehackerzzzzzzz

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
The BIOS does not recognize the hard drive at all, or another hard drive i tested for that matter. When i insert the system disk you have to select a hard drive/OS to repair and there are no options.

thehackerzzzzzzz

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Knowing me i barely got the CMOS cap thing off of it, and when i did id slid out somewhere in the computer and i cant find it. I booted up anyways. I probably shouldn't have should I? Well it booted up and i went into BIOS. STILL NO HARD DRIVE RECOGNITION. >.< this is frustrating.

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm talking about the battery that looks like a large watch battery.

cmos-battery-on-gateway-m-6823-laptop.gif

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

thehackerzzzzzzz

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Are there any other possibilities? I have the SATA cable in the hard drive and the sata cable in SATA slot 1. And i have the sata power connecter and i hear it spin when it starts up. what is wrong?! >.< this is terrible. Im pretty sure the hard drive is not dead since it's spinning right?