Overclocking an i7

bcock

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
just curious, i am purchasing a new PC within the next day or so. I will be getting the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 and overclocking it most likely. I have heard a lot of people on this site say their not a fan of overclocking higher end processors but i was jus wondering why this is. is it potentially harmful to overclock a high end processor or just not worth the money? the main reason I chose to overclock it is for future purposes when newer processors release. if anyone wants to share i would be very grateful! thanks!

bcock

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
hmm, i see that there is some instruction on how to OC but my question is " is it worth ordering the pc from the manufacturer already OC'd with the higher end processor." i know its not necessarry , but is it harmful?

alan1476

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
This is an enthusiast hobby, Overclocking is part of the fun. Do not go overboard, check your temps, you will be fine, they make these new motherboards with an auto overclock feature. This is part of the hobby, dont let yoursewlf get caught up in the fear of overclocking, use your sense, dont OC more than you need. You will be fine.