1100T overclock help I'm a Beginner

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2011 3:38:58 AM

Here are my specs related to the overclocking:

Cooler Master Haf X Case stock fans
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
8gb G. Skill Ripjaws 1600 speed
Formula V Mobo

I did just a quick overclock to 3.8ghz without raising the voltage so far and everything looks great.
so far i just changed the ratio to 18x on all cores and to 210mhz
How far will i probably be able to go with this specs and when will i need to add voltage? I'm trying for 4.1ghz

Also with the overclocking software im using on my Formula V motherboard called Turbo V im able to change the CPU ratio on one core at a time. Since i mostly use my computer for video games and most games only use four cores would i get better results only overclocking the first four cores and not all 6?

Thanks to all replys!
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
August 15, 2011 6:53:17 AM

indeed with the Asus Turbo V are not recommendation to 4GHz, and still Ok for small OC, not whether the mobo has support UEFI BIOS? My recommendation using UEFI BIOS!
many feature Cstate need disabled / Enabled like Cool n Quite, Spread Spectrum, C1E, PCIE at 100 ..and would be dangerous if you leave the settings in the OC in a state of Auto.
if you managed to OC at 3.8GHz as well do it with prime5 Stability test for Intelburntest 4jam or could use, you can be disabled 2 cores for game , it will make the CPU more cold and lower voltage

m
l
August 15, 2011 2:04:31 PM

alright and also what are the effects on the longevity of my CPU by overclocking?
m
l
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
August 15, 2011 2:42:12 PM

Longevinity depend on voltage and temperature, if overclock still below recommendation it will longterm
Ex: cpu vcore not more than 1.44 and temperature not more than 55C when fulload.
I have x6 still use everyday for my job oc at 3.8ghz with vcore 1.44 (still recommend from amd 1.45) and temperature below 50C fulload .. It will longterm. Just suggestion !
m
l
August 15, 2011 9:06:34 PM

henydiah said:
Longevinity depend on voltage and temperature, if overclock still below recommendation it will longterm
Ex: cpu vcore not more than 1.44 and temperature not more than 55C when fulload.
I have x6 still use everyday for my job oc at 3.8ghz with vcore 1.44 (still recommend from amd 1.45) and temperature below 50C fulload .. It will longterm. Just suggestion !

Helping more people I see :)  Try Tomshardware genius :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2011 11:12:41 PM

Do you have a problem with what Henydiah said???? :non:  So your a genius I take it.... :D 
m
l
August 16, 2011 5:10:06 AM

lowjack989 said:
Do you have a problem with what Henydiah said???? :non:  So your a genius I take it.... :D 

No I'm fine with what he said. He helped me overclock my CPU and I see he is helping more people it's good. It was a compliment to him :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2011 10:53:38 AM

OK, sorry I took it out of context
m
l

Best solution

a c 169 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2011 12:43:05 PM

CPU overclocking and gaming:

In PC's, either the CPU or the graphics card is a bottleneck during a video game. In modern PC's it's usually the graphics card that is the bottleneck. For example, an i7-860 (non-overclocked, ignore hyperthreading) uses roughly 25% of the four physical cores processing power.

It's very simple to find out if overclocking would provide any benefit.

1) Open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
2) Observe "Performance"; make sure "View"->CPU History is set to ALL
3) Hyperthreading is rarely used. If enabled you'll likely see EIGHT graphs. Ignore the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th graph (Graph#1,3,5 and 7 are the main four physical cores).
4) run a game with TM running. Play for at least five minutes, close the game and observe the graphs.

Analysis (if single core only):
For simplicity I'll first describe the analysis as if you had ONLY A SINGLE CORE CPU.
Analysis #1:
CPU is constantly at 100% are frequently reaching it.

Conclusion #1:
Your CPU is the bottleneck.

Analysis #2:
Your CPU is hitting 50%, on average.

Conclusion #2:
Your graphics card is the bottleneck. You could support a BETTER graphics card which performs roughly 2x as well.

Analysis of a 4-core or 8-thread system:
This is slightly harder, but before I begin there is one single truth:

IF NONE OF THE CORES HIT 100% THEN YOUR CPU IS NOT A BOTTLENECK AND OVERCLOCKING IT DOES NOTHING BUT ADD HEAT AND NOISE AS WELL AS WEAR OUT OR EVEN KILL YOUR CPU.

4-core analysis continues:
It's difficult to analyze mainly because games generally aren't designed to use all four core to 100% (are there any?). Also, a game may be able to have one core at 100% but pick up the slack with the other cores. You'd have to test that scenario by benchmarking a particular game while at stock and with the CPU overclocked to see if it makes a difference.

Summary:
Overclocking a CPU often provides no benefit as the graphics card is often the bottleneck. As mentioned it's easy to test.

Considering the fact that overclocking a CPU adds heat (and thus fan noise) even when your system is Idling it's hard to recommend.

Personally, I overclock my CPU only when I'm doing some video conversion work as my video software uses 100% of all threads so if I overclock my CPU by 25% then it finishes in four hours instead of five. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I can easily change the setting in Gigabyte software to overclock and reboot, then voila! I then set things back to STOCK.

When I get a better video card (probably a $300 NVidia GTX600 series) in Q1 or Q2 2012 I'll recheck things using Task Manager. I have no doubt my CPU usage will be HIGHER than when I use my current HD5870 but I'd still be surprised if overclocking made any difference in many games, if ANY.
August 16, 2011 3:40:04 PM

Best answer selected by ConscienceKills.
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:41:08 PM

I think i will hold out on overclocking till i get my second HD Radeon 6950 because i doubt my CPU will be a bottleneck till then

Thanks for the answers :) 
m
l
!