Solved

1100T overclock help I'm a Beginner

Here are my specs related to the overclocking:

Cooler Master Haf X Case stock fans
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
8gb G. Skill Ripjaws 1600 speed
Formula V Mobo

I did just a quick overclock to 3.8ghz without raising the voltage so far and everything looks great.
so far i just changed the ratio to 18x on all cores and to 210mhz
How far will i probably be able to go with this specs and when will i need to add voltage? I'm trying for 4.1ghz

Also with the overclocking software im using on my Formula V motherboard called Turbo V im able to change the CPU ratio on one core at a time. Since i mostly use my computer for video games and most games only use four cores would i get better results only overclocking the first four cores and not all 6?

Thanks to all replys!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1100t overclock beginner
  1. indeed with the Asus Turbo V are not recommendation to 4GHz, and still Ok for small OC, not whether the mobo has support UEFI BIOS? My recommendation using UEFI BIOS!
    many feature Cstate need disabled / Enabled like Cool n Quite, Spread Spectrum, C1E, PCIE at 100 ..and would be dangerous if you leave the settings in the OC in a state of Auto.
    if you managed to OC at 3.8GHz as well do it with prime5 Stability test for Intelburntest 4jam or could use, you can be disabled 2 cores for game , it will make the CPU more cold and lower voltage
  2. alright and also what are the effects on the longevity of my CPU by overclocking?
  3. Longevinity depend on voltage and temperature, if overclock still below recommendation it will longterm
    Ex: cpu vcore not more than 1.44 and temperature not more than 55C when fulload.
    I have x6 still use everyday for my job oc at 3.8ghz with vcore 1.44 (still recommend from amd 1.45) and temperature below 50C fulload .. It will longterm. Just suggestion !
  4. henydiah said:
    Longevinity depend on voltage and temperature, if overclock still below recommendation it will longterm
    Ex: cpu vcore not more than 1.44 and temperature not more than 55C when fulload.
    I have x6 still use everyday for my job oc at 3.8ghz with vcore 1.44 (still recommend from amd 1.45) and temperature below 50C fulload .. It will longterm. Just suggestion !

Helping more people I see :) Try Tomshardware genius :P
  5. Do you have a problem with what Henydiah said???? :non: So your a genius I take it.... :D
  6. lowjack989 said:
    Do you have a problem with what Henydiah said???? :non: So your a genius I take it.... :D

No I'm fine with what he said. He helped me overclock my CPU and I see he is helping more people it's good. It was a compliment to him :)
  7. OK, sorry I took it out of context
  8. Best answer
    CPU overclocking and gaming:

In PC's, either the CPU or the graphics card is a bottleneck during a video game. In modern PC's it's usually the graphics card that is the bottleneck. For example, an i7-860 (non-overclocked, ignore hyperthreading) uses roughly 25% of the four physical cores processing power.

It's very simple to find out if overclocking would provide any benefit.

1) Open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
    2) Observe "Performance"; make sure "View"->CPU History is set to ALL
    3) Hyperthreading is rarely used. If enabled you'll likely see EIGHT graphs. Ignore the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th graph (Graph#1,3,5 and 7 are the main four physical cores).
    4) run a game with TM running. Play for at least five minutes, close the game and observe the graphs.

Analysis (if single core only):
    For simplicity I'll first describe the analysis as if you had ONLY A SINGLE CORE CPU.
    Analysis #1:
    CPU is constantly at 100% are frequently reaching it.

Conclusion #1:
    Your CPU is the bottleneck.

Analysis #2:
    Your CPU is hitting 50%, on average.

Conclusion #2:
    Your graphics card is the bottleneck. You could support a BETTER graphics card which performs roughly 2x as well.

Analysis of a 4-core or 8-thread system:
    This is slightly harder, but before I begin there is one single truth:

IF NONE OF THE CORES HIT 100% THEN YOUR CPU IS NOT A BOTTLENECK AND OVERCLOCKING IT DOES NOTHING BUT ADD HEAT AND NOISE AS WELL AS WEAR OUT OR EVEN KILL YOUR CPU.

4-core analysis continues:
    It's difficult to analyze mainly because games generally aren't designed to use all four core to 100% (are there any?). Also, a game may be able to have one core at 100% but pick up the slack with the other cores. You'd have to test that scenario by benchmarking a particular game while at stock and with the CPU overclocked to see if it makes a difference.

Summary:
    Overclocking a CPU often provides no benefit as the graphics card is often the bottleneck. As mentioned it's easy to test.

Considering the fact that overclocking a CPU adds heat (and thus fan noise) even when your system is Idling it's hard to recommend.

Personally, I overclock my CPU only when I'm doing some video conversion work as my video software uses 100% of all threads so if I overclock my CPU by 25% then it finishes in four hours instead of five. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I can easily change the setting in Gigabyte software to overclock and reboot, then voila! I then set things back to STOCK.

When I get a better video card (probably a $300 NVidia GTX600 series) in Q1 or Q2 2012 I'll recheck things using Task Manager. I have no doubt my CPU usage will be HIGHER than when I use my current HD5870 but I'd still be surprised if overclocking made any difference in many games, if ANY.
  9. Best answer selected by ConscienceKills.
  10. I think i will hold out on overclocking till i get my second HD Radeon 6950 because i doubt my CPU will be a bottleneck till then

Thanks for the answers :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooler Master