Sign in with
Your question

Why am i hearing grumbling.rumbling noise in my harddrive?

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2011 10:04:32 PM

I just got this Seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm 2 days ago.
here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

At first I didn't notice, coz' i was focusing on installing my Operating System, then after I started installing the drivers etc etc. then after installing multiple games (like maybe installing 2 games at ones) i started to notice this grumbling\rumbling noise in my hard drive. i know that it's my hard drive because i heard on that area and i felt the rumbles on the hard drive. i can even feel it from the case itself.

I can mostly hear it on these kind of situations: booting, installing programs, opening programs, and surfing the web. I can still hear it while I'm idle (what by idle is even though im using the computer or also just type like what im doing at this time.) but the noise is still the same but not as continues as it is when i'm doing stuff on the computer.

I installing a software called HD tune, and i did some error scan and compared it with my external. so my external hard drive scanned in a constant speed but my main hard drive (seagate barracuda) without anything running on the background had momentarily slow speed than goes back on a constant speed every time i heard rumbles that's when it slows down.

The second the time i did an error scan on the seagate, i still hear the rumbles but this time the speed is constant. there are no errors found btw.

Is this normal or RMA it? maybe i am paranoid but it feels like it's not normal for me.

thanks guys, hopefully i'll find my answer!

Additional Details
Here's my Computer Spec:
Phenom II X6 1090T BE
MSI 890FXA-GD65
XFX RADEON HD BE 6870
TT TR2 RX-850watt
G-Skills 8gb kit DDR3 1600 ( the latency was 9-9-9-24-2N but in my computer it's shows that it's 9-9-9-28 @800 ...wierd)
a c 378 G Storage
April 17, 2011 10:21:38 PM

Some drives are noiser than others. It makes sense that it would be louder while in use. If HDTune isn't showing SMART errors, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Also, DDR = Double Data Rate, thus your 800Mhz = 800 x 2 = 1600mhz, so it's fine.
April 18, 2011 1:38:35 AM

A hard drive makes two noises:
- the constant noise of the disc spinning, this is pretty steady
- the noise of the heads seeking a new track.
- if your loading a program, the heads have to switch position rapidly. This causes vibration. Some metal computer cases will vibrate or boom when this happens which makes the noise seem much louder.

Bet this is your "rumbling", nothing wrong with the drive...........

Related resources
April 18, 2011 10:02:05 PM

Yes, you're right. but even though i have nothing on screen, i still hear. it's not loud but there are times that it get's louder on different random time.
April 19, 2011 3:26:10 PM

Well if that was my hdd I would remove it from the case rehook it up and boot whilst holding it in my hand , and then if I thought that it was too noisy I would conduct a conversation with the folks at seagate, also check the mounting in your case for any loose connections as in metal to metal...:) 
April 19, 2011 10:30:39 PM

The hard disk is busy even when your not running any programs, it's the operating system doing it's thing. Just take a look at the hard disk activity LED, I'll bet your noise beats in time with that LED...
!