Sign in with
Your question

When will i need to upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2009 8:02:26 PM

Ive just been wondering how long my PC will remain top notch, because i know late next year there will be many powerful AMD and Intel chips available. I want to know if you think it would be fine to wait till 2011 so i can upgrade to bulldozer, or upgrade to an i7 or i9 next year. Full specs in member config

More about : upgrade

October 17, 2009 8:36:49 PM

There will always be something else just around the corner. There will always be something else that is likely to come down in price soon. Get the best you can comfortably afford at the time. You are, essentially, only trying to delay the inevitable need to upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 10:26:33 PM

Your PC will no longer to top notch once you receive it via UPS or FedEx or whomever ships it to you. :)  Unless you bought the most expensive of everything (i.e. $1,000 Extreme/Unlocked/BlackEdition/OMG/WTF CPU). Then it'll be less than top notch a month after you receive it.

It's all about how your system performs with what YOU are doing. If you game, and it runs all your games with good settings, is smooth and enjoyable, leave it alone.

If the new games you buy are sluggish, at medium/low settings, then you might want to consider an upgrade. There will ALWAYS be something better within 2-6 months.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 4:50:06 AM

When you can no longer get smooth gameplay on your monitor with whatever settings you like using, then you're system is no longer top notch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 4:57:45 AM

Gaming is really about graphics, so I'd say your fine until DX11 really takes hold.
m
l
!