Sign in with
Your question

(IDE failing, Sata as boot drive) won't boot.

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2011 11:19:10 PM

Now i need some help here. My old computer has a worm or virus or trojan or all of the above and i need to install a new hdd with Windows xp fresh on there.

The old computer has a IDE HDD 80gigs, the new HDD is 250 gig Sata. Now i just put windows xp on the new hdd from another computer. I took out the IDE hdd and put in the new 250gb sata. (I needed to put a 4 pin to sata connector to do so) and it won't boot. The bios does not see the drive, i've tried troubleshooting some difrrent things to make it boot and none of them worked.

I tried changing the primary boot listing on the bios and it didn't work.

Now do i need to have a IDE drive to boot on this board? Can i partition the 250gb and clone it to the IDE to make it work, if so will the trojans still exsist on the drive cause its not a full format?
a c 119 G Storage
April 18, 2011 2:04:12 AM

Try one of these:
1) Start the computer in 'Safe Mode' - run anti-virus program - run anti spyware program. Reboot. If the computer boots fine, clone the HDD onto the new higher capacity HDD using Drivewire: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&... (widely available). Install the new HDD.

OR

2) Remove of the old 80 GB HDD. Install the new 250 GB HDD. Do a fresh install of Win XP.

The Windows OS must be installed on the computer it is intended to run on.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:26:04 AM

That was the problem, when we put the hdd on the computer it didn't show up at all.

Then i installed it on another computer, put xp on it and then tried to boot it from the old PC and us "repair start up" for it to config to the desktop. Its still not showing up.

Is there something in the Bios that needs to be changed in order for a Sata drive to run in a computer that once had a IDE drive? Like is the computer still thinking a IDE drive is suppose to boot or something? Your kinda like the only hope for this thing, and i feel it can be fixed by a few adjustments.
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
April 18, 2011 2:38:16 AM

You cannot install the OS on the disk using a different computer and then transfer this disk to another computer.

The computer doesn't care where it is booting from, but the boot priority must be set in the BIOS. First boot device, second boot device, etc. - the manual will explain this in greater detail.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:44:01 AM

Theres no manual for the computer i have, its rather old. Again, it was not showing up at all in the bios, i change the order of the boot priority and it did nothing when i first installed the drive. Is there a chance that its because the last drive was a IDE drive and this new drive is a Sata?
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:50:11 AM

Ubrales said:
Try one of these:
1) Start the computer in 'Safe Mode' - run anti-virus program - run anti spyware program. Reboot. If the computer boots fine, clone the HDD onto the new higher capacity HDD using Drivewire: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&... (widely available). Install the new HDD.

OR

2) Remove of the old 80 GB HDD. Install the new 250 GB HDD. Do a fresh install of Win XP.

if i do 1. There might a chance that the drive will still have the trojan on it. I've run mutiple anti spware etc on it and they've still come back, now could i clone the trojan ridden drive to the normal 250gb drive and then (now that its a boot drive for it) start a clean install? My problem is, will a clean install on a new drive that was cloned from a Trojan infected drive, format to the point where it gets rid of the trojans?
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 18, 2011 3:04:47 AM

Raccoon Goon said:
if i do 1. There might a chance that the drive will still have the trojan on it. I've run mutiple anti spware etc on it and they've still come back, now could i clone the trojan ridden drive to the normal 250gb drive and then (now that its a boot drive for it) start a clean install? My problem is, will a clean install on a new drive that was cloned from a Trojan infected drive, format to the point where it gets rid of the trojans?

No! Do not clone an infected drive - the infections will be transferred to the cloned drive. If you cannot clean a drive before cloning, you will not be able to clean it after cloning. That's why you need to boot in 'Safe Mode' and then do the drive cleaning.

If the boot priority is set to SATA, it will boot from the SATA HDD. Make sure that the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:32:00 AM

Good. Now i think the sata is enabled cause i used a dvd drive using sata on the computer and it worked, is this diffrent for a hdd? How would i go about cleaning this drive? I've tried everything and it seems to be still in the drive, is there a way i can format the drive in safe mode with a program off of a flash drive and then do a clean windows install? Cause i want to just put a fresh install on the old hdd if thats possible but i feel the partitions will still have the trojan in it, so is there a way to format it this way? Cause at this point it won't even run any programs.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 18, 2011 3:36:45 AM

Raccoon Goon said:
Good. Now i think the sata is enabled cause i used a dvd drive using sata on the computer and it worked, is this diffrent for a hdd? How would i go about cleaning this drive? I've tried everything and it seems to be still in the drive, is there a way i can format the drive in safe mode with a program off of a flash drive and then do a clean windows install? Cause i want to just put a fresh install on the old hdd if thats possible but i feel the partitions will still have the trojan in it, so is there a way to format it this way? Cause at this point it won't even run any programs.

You must boot in 'SAFE MODE' - then run anti-virus programs. Then run anti spyware programs. After that you can do whatever you wish!
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:47:52 AM

Thanks, i'll try this. How can i just format the 80gb drive to make a clean xp install? Cause at this point i no longer want to even try to take those virsues off knowing they can come back. Is there any free programs you suggest, (only if i'm not able to format windows and do a clean xp install)
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 18, 2011 11:29:21 AM

Raccoon Goon said:
Thanks, i'll try this. How can i just format the 80gb drive to make a clean xp install? Cause at this point i no longer want to even try to take those virsues off knowing they can come back. Is there any free programs you suggest, (only if i'm not able to format windows and do a clean xp install)

Yes. 'Microsoft Security Essentials' is free. I have it installed and running. Works well.

Another product I recommend is Kaspersky Internet Security. http://www.frys.com/product/6373951?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... - this is currently selling for $50 and has a $50 rebate, so the cost is zero (free).
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
April 18, 2011 3:12:25 PM

Raccoon Goon said:

During the XP installation, there will be an option to partition/format the drive. Delete all partitions and recreate them. This will guarantee that all data is wiped. Then continue installation as normal.
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:50:03 PM

So to get the installation screen, do i need to set the boot priority to the CD drive instead of the HDD? Buy doing this does it just go to the "no hdd, insert boot media" screen? I'm going to try that tonight.

I'll also download that program. Sounds like it should work if theres ever another virus on that computer.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
April 18, 2011 6:54:19 PM

Yes, temporarily set the primary boot device to CD/DVD for the XP installation. You won't get the missing boot media error as long as you have a bootable CD/DVD in the drive... such as the XP install CD.
m
l
April 20, 2011 4:52:07 PM

Thanks for the help. I got the option to delete the partitions and did so, after putting a clean install on its running fine. I will wait until it needs a new hdd before trying to install a sata drive, thats for another thread to come though.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 20, 2011 6:21:58 PM

Raccoon Goon said:
Thanks for the help. I got the option to delete the partitions and did so, after putting a clean install on its running fine. I will wait until it needs a new hdd before trying to install a sata drive, thats for another thread to come though.

Do a complete backup right away on an external hard disk. Also, use a re-writable DVD to create a System Repair Disk.
m
l
April 20, 2011 9:04:59 PM

Now...how do i make a System Repair disk and is it better then a cloned drive?
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 20, 2011 11:26:19 PM

Raccoon Goon said:
Now...how do i make a System Repair disk and is it better then a cloned drive?

When you open 'Backup & Restore' in the Control Panel, you will see an option to create the 'System Repair Disk'. It is around the top left corner of the dialog box (window) in Win 7. I use re-writable DVDs to create this.

In Win XP it is under 'Accessories' ---> System Tools
m
l
!